Author Topic: Overnight on the Tribute 9/3  (Read 3189 times)

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Overnight on the Tribute 9/3
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
Got the chance to fish offshore for the first time this season on the Tribute this past week. Got a call from a buddy to fish the full-day on the San Diego for Wednesday. I saw the fish counts and they were killing the YT down south, but I couldn't swing the Wednesday trip. I told him I could do a overnight trip Thursday, so he changed his reservations for the overnight on the tribute. Wednesday comes and I see the numbers drop big time (2 fish for 36 anglers on the Tribute overnight), but it's too late to cancel. Thursday night the captain (Shane) tells us that they did horrible down south so we would be fishing west of SCI. The deckhands says to tie on some Flatfalls rigged for big BFT. Didn't expect this type of trip, so I tied on a glow-in the dark Flatfall to my 40lb setup. We got to the fishing grounds and start looking for life at 6am. The water is a dark blue/purple color with over cast skies with no other boats in the area. We pull up on small patties all morning with a few YT and dodos on them, the bite is one and done at most of the patties. Most of the YT where in the 15-25lb range and the dodos were all in the 10-15lb range. All you needed on this trip was a 20lb setup based on what I saw. The bait was small (4" sardines) so most of us were using the size 4 mustad hooks. We found some foamers late in the day around 3pm, but they didn't stay on top for long and the captain needed to motor home. The final count for the trip was 9 fish (5 YT & 4 Dodos) for 32 anglers. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to pull on anything. Lessons learned from this trip is to wait as long as possible to pull the trigger on a offshore trip. Hopefully, this fishing skunk spell ends soon! >:(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:14:13 PM by 1morecast »
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Overnight on the Tribute 9/3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
Ouch. Total bummer considering how much it costs nowadays to go on a sportie. We'll go out and have better luck soon!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:52 PM »
Beats work. My offshore season so far is seeing 3 mola molas, a black eye, and a broken nose. Just shaking off the cobb webs.  ;D

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
Beats work. My offshore season so far is seeing 3 mola molas, a black eye, and a broken nose. Just shaking off the cobb webs.  ;D

What's the story with the broken nose? :o
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »

What's the story with the broken nose? :o

Kayak to the face?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:02 PM »
Winch handle, steel cable under tension, face not where it should be. And this was hours after changing a flat tire on the trailer which led to a late launch. Slept under a bag of ice that night and went fishing 3 days after. ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »
Wednesday comes and I see the numbers drop big time (2 fish for 36 anglers on the Tribute overnight), but it's too late to cancel.

I learned years ago not to chase the counts.  I just enjoy the boat ride and company, if I catch fish it's a plus.  I pick a date and stick with it hoping for the best.  Sorry to hear you got skunked, you'll get 'em next time   8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:44:20 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
All I've been on are boat rides as of late. ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:55:10 PM by 1morecast »
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »
Sounds like someone needs to go fishing for Dolphin!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.