Author Topic: 15 Pound Catfish! (8/31)  (Read 3233 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
15 Pound Catfish! (8/31)
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
My back and shoulder are still killing me, but I needed to get out fishing.  Catfishing seemed to be the ticket and the boats not been in the water for a while.

Steve and I got to the lake and did some deep drifts for Blue Cats.  Bait Balls were everywhere and I was metering fish all throughout the water column in 130 feet of water!  Unfortunately, nothing took.  I did get bit when casting a creature bait for bass, but I back lashed and I was taking out the backlash line he took all the slack and the hook never penetrated.

It was about that time and we hit our usual anchor locale.  We threw for bass and Red Ear, but there were none around this time.  We heard them in the distance popping on bait, but never got any opportunities at them.  It looked like there was also a mayfly hatch.  These little flies looked like mini mayflies and were plastered all over the boat!

The one thing that was biting was catfish.  Not a wide open bite, but it came around in spurts.

We got limits of cats and called it the night.

All of the catfish weighed out at between 2 pounds 1oz and 5 pounds 10 oz.  Most were all in the 3 pound category, so nothing big, but when we got the boat on the trailer
and was prepping it for travel, a few guys shot up the road like gangbusters and stopped at the scale.  They didn't get many, but had a 15 pound catfish which would have won the tourney for sure!!!

It was a really nice cat, but it wasn't ours and we were done for the season.

Now I'm back to icing my back 10x a day and waiting to hear back from my insurance and collision guys.  It's looking like my favorite truck I ever owned is totaled. 

Well, I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!  Eat, Drink and be Merry!
Thanks for reading and it looks like a big congrats to EricH.  Your prize is in the process of being made.  I'll reach out when it's ready.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Pound Catfish! (8/31)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
It was a fun night once the bite got rolling. Funny how the pattern repeats itself. Except for the bass and bluegill part.

New moon fishing coming up.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Pound Catfish! (8/31)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »
Been years since I've fished for kitties, one of my favorite eating fish.  Looks good guys
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect