Author Topic: Heat shrink (finished product)  (Read 10325 times)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Heat shrink (finished product)
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
Is it okay to put the X wrap tubing over the cork tape?

Or would it be best to remove the tape first?

What size tubing for a 8ft 30-60 calstar grafighter?

Would i cut the tubing to the exact length of the handle or longer? Not sure if it shrinks in the up and down direction as well?

Blow dryer or flame for the job?

Sorry for all the questions.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:17:29 PM by Eric H »

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Heat shrink tubing (skrilla)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
I am sure skrilla would know. My extent is using small pieces to afix weights on my rod butts for balancing my light spinners. It will shrink somewhat in length as well as diameter. I use a 2 setting heat gun to shrink it over the cork on the lowest setting. For my purpose, I still need to be careful of duration and distance from the end of the heat gun as it is still hot enough to scorch the cork, but I’m not laying it over the whole cork. In regards to over the cork or stripping the cork, I would think handle diameter would be the deciding factor. If you want a thinner handle than what you currently have, you might need to strip the existing cork off, but still may need to put down a thin layer of cork wrap for an underbody. I believe most xwrap handles still have an under wrap over the actual blank.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
Thanks Ron, tryin to gain as much knowledge as i can.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
Doing some research here at work.

Shrinks up to 50% in size.

Works on cork , hypalon and cork tape.

Heat gun recommended.

Size chart which i dont understand

Size   Inside Diameter   Wall   Shrunk I.D.   Shrunk Wall
20mm   20mm (0.787")   1.1mm   9mm   2.2mm
25mm   25mm (0.984")   1.1mm   12mm   2.2mm
30mm   30mm (1.181")   1.1mm   14mm   2.2mm
35mm   35mm (1.378")   1.1mm   17mm   2.2mm
40mm   40mm (1.575")   1.1mm   19mm   2.2mm

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:38:40 PM »
Doing some research here at work.

Shrinks up to 50% in size.

Works on cork , hypalon and cork tape.

Heat gun recommended.

Size chart which i dont understand

Size   Inside Diameter   Wall   Shrunk I.D.   Shrunk Wall
20mm   20mm (0.787")   1.1mm   9mm   2.2mm
25mm   25mm (0.984")   1.1mm   12mm   2.2mm
30mm   30mm (1.181")   1.1mm   14mm   2.2mm
35mm   35mm (1.378")   1.1mm   17mm   2.2mm
40mm   40mm (1.575")   1.1mm   19mm   2.2mm
Before
The chart is giving you the diameter and thickness of the tubing before and after shrinking. The wall measurement is the thickness( material gets thicker as it shrinks) and I.D. Stands for inside diameter. This of course is measured if it is shrunk without encaseing anything. You want the shrink I.D. To be smaller than the thinnest part of the rod handle to ensure an even tight fit.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:21:12 PM »
Is it okay to put the X wrap tubing over the cork tape?

Yes. I also use adhesive for better bonding. 3M spray or a thin layer of reel seat epoxy works great.

Or would it be best to remove the tape first?

Heatshrink on bare blank may feel too hard. One or two layers of corktape is typical. Whatever thickness or grip hardness to your liking. Also keep in mind if using reel clamps that it will fit.

What size tubing for a 8ft 30-60 calstar grafighter?

I use the smallest diameter that will slide over.  1 3/8" is probably the most common size I use but definitely double check before buying.

Would i cut the tubing to the exact length of the handle or longer? Not sure if it shrinks in the up and down direction as well?

I leave at least 1/2-1" extra on each end. Then after shrinking I spin it on the rod wrapper and trim the excess with a razor blade.

Blow dryer or flame for the job?

I use a heat gun. After killing 5 cheapo HF guns ( last one blew up and burned my hand ) I bought one of those yellow Wagners from HD with digital temp selection. 800 degress makes fast work without roasting the blank or melting the adhesive backing under the corktape. The cooling option is what the HF guns lack. Everytime I opened one I found melted parts or burned out wires.

Sorry for all the questions.

Ask away anytime!  8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:37:33 PM »
Ron and skrilla thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it. I feel like such a dummy. Still got a couple more questions.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
I cant slide the tubing over the handle to figure out which one to purchase since im buying online.

Im looking on ebay.

Theyve got several colors and lengths to choose from.

But you also have to choose the diameter. Ron i know you explained this but unforntunately i dont get it.

I can choose from 15mm 20mm 25mm 30mm 35mm 40mm 45mm and 50.

I guess i need to take a tape measure and go around the thinnest part of the handle and add up all the mm?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:14:21 PM by Eric H »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
I add up my total mm and compare to the shrunk id then buy that diameter?

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
Ok, here is a basic diagram showing the difference between diameter and circumference.

Basically, if you measure in a circle around the rod handle, that is a circumference.  The diameter is a straight line measurement from one side of the handle to the other, its basically the thickness of the handle.

Do your best to measure the thickness of the rod handle at its thinnest spot and its thickest spot. I will throw some numbers out there for an example.

My handle on my calico surf rod has a diameter of 25mm at its thickest and 24 at its thinnest. I would need to buy the 30mm, 35mm, or 40mm tubing.  This tubing will be larger than my rod handle so can be slid onto the handle but will shrink down to an Inside Diameter of 14mm, 17mm and 19mm which is smaller than my rod handle and will ensure a tight fit around the handle.

When thinking of inside diameter vs outside diameter, think of a washer you would put on a screw or a bolt. The diameter of the center hole is the Inside diameter. The diameter of the entire washer is the Outside Diameter. The distance between the outer edge and the edge of the hole is its thickness or "Wall" measurement.

Now for some math.  If you are having difficulty measuring the diameter, then measure around the rod handle, this is the circumference.  In my example above, I got around 80mm.

Your diameter equals the circumference divided by 3.14.  Thus "Diameter" = 80mm divided by 3.14, or 25.5mm.

Since in my example I have 3 different sizes I can choose from.  I can make a choice based on how thick of a rubber coating I want over the cork.  The more the tubing can shrink towards its smallest size, the thicker it will get.

Thus the 30mm tubing will shrink the least as it it the closest in size to my actual handle and will be thinner than the 40mm tubing which will shrink the most and will end up thicker. The 35mm will be right in the middle of the other 2.

Thickness may be a consideration based on durability standpoint.  Thicker will mean a slight increase in durability, but will also add a very slight amount more of weight to the rod handle.

I hope I explained this well enough Eric.  I'm sure Skrilla will chime in something is incorrect.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:28:02 PM by Fish Jerk »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
Ron thank you, that was very helpful.

Sorry you had to spell it out for a dummy.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
I’m glad it helped Eric.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »
The top section of my handle is 1" across (diameter)

The butt section is 1 1/2 inch across.

According to the inches to millimeters conversion chart online theres 38.1mm in 1.5 inches.

So considering im looking for minimal shrinkage since i dont want it thick, 40mm of tubing would be best??

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Heat shrink (finished product)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
I think it came out well. Just starting to think i like the cork better. Thanks for all the help.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Heat shrink (finished product)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »
I think it looks good, Eric.