Author Topic: When Bonito Are Bigger Than The Bonito Sharks (9/23)  (Read 2083 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
When Bonito Are Bigger Than The Bonito Sharks (9/23)
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »
First time out in a month and I was ready to see how my back would hold up.  Steve and I were the first boat in LJ yesterday and not a sole around!  My first cast on the iron and I hook into something big.  As I was fighting him in, 7 dogs were quickly homing in on it and then grabbed it.  I'm not 100% sure what it was, but the straightened my hooks out on the tug of way with my fish!  Now we had all the dogs in LJ following us wherever we went!
I wasn't sure what was happening out there, so we metered stuff and threw the iron.  Then the dogs would find us, so we started trolling around.  Steve gets bit pretty quick and we thought it was a nice bonito, but it turned out to be a baby bonito shark!

We were mostly trolling, but would stop every now and then to cast irons.  By this time, bonito and mako were everywhere... and so were the people!  They came in like gangbusters out of nowhere!

The bonito were all 5-8 pounds on the scale.  We kept 6 for lobster and shark bait.

We weren't the only boat catching baby makos, as we heard some other people's reports of baby sharks swarming the fleet.  I did manage my SMALLEST mako ever!  It had big fin parasites, so it was out of the womb for a short time, but this thing was the runt of the litter!  I thought the other makos were tiny, but this took the cake!

We left before the wind picked up and got back to the ramp by noon.  Back held up, but I'm a little sore today.  My only issue was after cleaning the boat, I was flushing the motor when a water hose burst in the motor compartment!  I realized that when I screwed in the garden hose, it twisted the water line and popped like a balloon.  That was a setback, but I finally got it all taken care of.  Whew, that could have been really bad.

Anyway, a great day locally.  No yellows, but we did hear of a couple caught.  We didn't have bait so it was all artificial lures for us.

Thanks for reading and until next tide....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: When Bonito Are Bigger Than The Bonito Sharks (9/23)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »
Awesomeness........................................super stoked your back held up Tom   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
Super fun day.

Thanks for holding my shark for a pic. I didn’t feel like messing with passing a chainsaw around. Especially since you already had a good grip.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:19 PM »
Lots of Big bones showing lately , glad you guys got some.

Mako is awesome too regardless of its size.

Im with you on back pain. Ive got scoliosis and its destroying me.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Those little makos are cute! Gonna walk out on the jetty and try for some bonies if they're in my range. I have the free time now!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)