Author Topic: Mental Recharge  (Read 2359 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Mental Recharge
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
 Been on a slow streak lately. Not much happening shark wise, bass/halibut fishing in the surf is harder than Joel makes it look, and even the lagoon isn't doing much for me lately.

Between that and work being a drag lately, I needed to get out.

Checked the counts, checked the weather, and made a decision to jump on a boat. 3/4 day they call full day now. I would have liked to fish the islands but everybody was going offshore. That's OK, I like that too.

One boat required passports, and I reasoned that with the forecast being slightly windy, that would allow us to fish the islands if it got sporty. Weather got a little windy but not bad and we ended up stayin offshore all day.

Boat was the Grande, out of H&M. Scheduled 530 departure, more like 550, but whatever. Hit the bait barge, loaded up on mixed size dines.

Rolled out to west of the islands, deckie called everyone to the back of the boat for safety/fishing talk. Between the motor noise and him turning his head to talk to everybody, I heard almost nothing he said. Heard it before anyway, but not real helpful for the rent rodders. Then they put wristbands on us. Mexican government requirement for fishing near the islands in the biosphere zone. Interesting, probably a fee collection deal.

Talk was interupted by a jigstrike on the trollers and we got into a good bunch of bonito. We were later chastised for basic cluster f@ck performance when the safety talk resumed. I got one bonito on the iron on my first cast of the day. Retired that rod hoping the first cast curse didn't affect the other two I brought.

The day was spent trolling around, and stopping on meter marks. Lots of boats in the area, most stops resulted in just a few fish. We went pretty far south of the islands. At the end of the day it took at least an hour and a half, maybe 2 heading north to pass them.

The best stop we had resulted in maybe 40 fish, mixed skippies and football yft. I got a skipjack and two yellowfin on that stop. Two fish on flyline smaller dine and the third on a buthooked dine. The bigger baits didn't seem to get bit. I did get one other bite, but it dropped off when I got pulled in by a jig. Jig guy was friendly, but told me he didn't know how to use the GPS on his boat, so he took the trip to get numbers by tracking with his phone. I saw him drink about 4 "weed waters" so I'm not sure if he messed up his settings or what, but I did hear him say on the way back that the tracking stopped in Mexican waters. Not sure about that really.

We stopped on several paddies, and drove by many more. None were holding. I don't think we were even the third boat to hit any of them.

Eventually after fishing all day we had to head home. Advertised ETA was 530, we passed the islands around 5, so we stayed out longer than advertised.

The boat continued to look for fish and stop on marks until we were past the islands. The biggest fish came on one of these late stops. I was able to get a nicer yft, maybe 15-18 lbs, a nice young lady fishing a spinner hooked up at the same time, her fish probably went 20-22. Funny thing is, on Instagram, there is a picture of another girl with the fish. That girl didn't catch anything. Not sure what is up with that, but I'm pretty sure it is an evil conspiracy.

Got back to the dock around 715. Checked the other boats counts on the way in and found we were the dog of the fleet. Not sure what the captain could have done differently, the other boats were in sight most of the day. We just didn't drive over them. I was happy with the fish I caught, but, would have been happier to catch more.  I will give props to Tyler for nice head gaffs on my tuna, not the world famous "San Diego Gaff" in the meat.

Fish were gunny sacked during the bite, then into a bleed bucket with a gill cut, then into RSW. Seemed like a decent way to handle them.

I used 15# flouro, and a #2, or #4 ringed hook. Not sure really because I just grabbed it out of my center console where it was mixed in with my loose change. Some fish were caught on colt snipers, but mostly on the medium size sardine.

Sorry for no pics, but I was fishing.

Cheers, Dave, see you trout fishing soon.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Recharge
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »
Awesome! I'm sure Dave thanks you a ton for this!

But you have a camera now.... So pics! LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Awesome! I'm sure Dave thanks you a ton for this!

But you have a camera now.... So pics! LOL

Yeah, I know, I know.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
Nutt'n wrong with 3 YFT Steve, and the skip will make good bait.  Hope ya feel better   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
Sweet fall YFT fishing. Was it a full load?
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
37 people was fairly full but I think they would have taken more.

Verne, I felt great while I was out there, but the next day it was like I never went. Guess I need to go more.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
Verne, I felt great while I was out there, but the next day it was like I never went. Guess I need to go more.

There's always whisky, works for me   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »

There's always whisky, works for me   ;D

Rum and coke does that job for me.