Author Topic: Opportunity Knocks, but Sometimes Runs Away fter Knocking While Giggling (10/14)  (Read 1935 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
So I was busy constructing a new truck bed rod holder system on Saturday which is turning out much more difficult than I was hoping.  I knew I had to head to Temecula where my buddy just bought a new house and was having a party so no fishing was planned this weekend.

Party went well, but that place is so far away from the water and just FILLED with traffic!  I got home about 11:00pm and was ready to hit the sack when I get a text...  My buddy Scott took the boys out and slayed the Yellowfin!

I checked the marine forecast and Sunday was the only open window that was available to me before the winds kicked up, so I started throwing sh!t in the boat all willy nilly.  I wasn't sure if it was going to be nice enough to run offshore or if I would be stuck inshore so everything from bay gear to a troller came with me.  I knew I would forget something, but didn't care as I remembered the drain plug and that was about all I needed.  I also put a 5 gallon can of gas in and hoped I had enough to make any type of run.

It was windy in the morning and a rain cloud descended on me, but just missed.  I put some big trollers out and wanted to see what I could see.

I trolled for a while and was ready to maybe make a run inshore when I got my first hit.  By this time things were getting pretty sunny!

My first skippy came over the rail.

Smaller, but fun to get the skunk off.  Those damn fish are so beautiful when they are all lit up.  Friggand pinks and purples all over!

I also put out an old school bonito feather on my bass rod and got slammed twice on it!  Let me say that fighting 5-7 pound skippies on bass gear is a TON of Fun!

I also started casting a megabait on my 10# bass gear every now and then and picked up a nerf sized yellowfin tuna!  The smallest one I ever seen!  I flipped him in the boat on the bay gear, but bent the hook out as it flopped on my casting deck.  I grabbed it just in time, but that bugger squirt out of my hands and back into the water.  Oh well, I just wanted a picture, but oh well.  So much fun to see a micro yellowfin!

I did get a pick of one of the skippies on my heavy bass gear with a feather, but the picture didn't come out too well.

By now the water was FLAT calm!

I continued to troll and ended up with 6 skippies total, but kept 3 as my bait freezer is filled to the top with lobster bait.  Once again, these skippies were just unreal in their colors in the sun!  I couldn't stop seeing those weird pink spots on the face!

I headed in and saw a HUGE tuna boil in 330 feet of water!  Not bonito, but Yellowfin and skippies!  My first cast with the small megabait on them and they all disappeared out of sight.  I even turned my motor off and slid up into casting range, but they were super skittish.

The water was flat calm!

Well, I tossed 3 skippies back.  Lost 3 on the jig strikes and kept 3 as well as losing that micro yellowfin.  The secret to the YFC was live bait, but I did not have any, so I made the most of it and think it turned out pretty good for the most part.

Anyway, Sasquatch hooked me up with tuna this morning, so all wasn't lost and I'll be eating good in the neighborhood!

Thanks for reading and until next tide!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:27:06 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
That first pic of the water looks ominous. Congrats on a good solo trip.

Artificials worked great on my trip. I’m sure the multiple nets of bait braided over got things going. Interesting that when the chumming slowed down we got more YFT than skippies.

On the bluefin the deckhand was getting heat for not throwing netfulls fast enough. Like every net was half a scoop of bait.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Looks like fun Tom, glad you got a chance to get out and the weather cooperated.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Congrats on a successful, last minute trip!  Man those fish are pretty!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Skippies are fun and under-rated table fare! Ugh... I need a boat.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)