Author Topic: Truck Bed Rod Holders  (Read 4799 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Truck Bed Rod Holders
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:00 AM »
I always had my truck bed holders but never really liked the way they fit into the Ridgeline with the trunk and all.  When they finally broke, I just decided to lie them in the bed or in the cab for transport, but missed having them in the back of the truck.

I decided on ABS tubing, but had to figure out how to get it to all fit in the bed as the bed is wider up top than below and doesn't have any really good mounting options.

Plan A was to get the skeleton cut to size and all laid out.

I was constantly dry fitting it to make sure the length was spot on.

I had to figure out how many rod holders I wanted and figured I could get 10 in there comfortably if I spaced it out right and used the right attachments.

I was planning on (4) 2' tubes and (4) 1.5" tubes plus the two that were going to be the top of the frame.

Once I got everything cut and lined up, I used all stainless hardware to bolt it all in.

As you can see at the glued joints where the most weight and stresses will be, I ran a long stainless bolt through those joints to make sure it would hold under a load.  I also double glued the other joints to make sure it was as solid as could be.

The tricky part was to get it attached to the bed and with some special holes zip-sawed out, stainless bailing wire and some stainless bolts.... I got that thing lock down tighter than a nerf herder on Alderan!

I just need to get the stickers off.  They are friggand welded on there it seems!

That'll work!

I even got the angle down to match the bed shape.  It looks tight and is 100% functional!  10 rod holders (2 vertical as back frame)... 
Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Truck Bed Rod Holders
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
That was my biggest reservation on your build. The stickers. It seemed out of character for you to have left them. I assumed it was an oversight, but now know you tried at least. You should at least sharpie them.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
Looks great Tom! Nice work!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
Yeah you did a good job. Ive been thinking about doing something for my 4runner

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:25:32 PM »
Nice. I need to build a rod rack for the Outback interior. Too many rod tangles with 4 two piece rods rigged bouncing around.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:47:03 AM »
Super stoked.  I just threw in all 10 rods and tried to see if it even wiggled in the bed.  Never budged.  I'm very happy how it came out.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
Murdah'd out!

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
That looks sick.. I've seen that a few times.. I could never rock that though.. My dumb Irish luck would smash my poles into a drive through or something stupid..

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:24 PM »
I've never taken ten rods on a fishing trip, but that's just me.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)