Author Topic: Better Luck This Time 10/28/2018  (Read 2860 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Better Luck This Time 10/28/2018
« on: October 28, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »
 After yesterday's beat down, I wanted a shot at redemption.

Good thing I didn't get it because no matter how many times I reminded myself to grab the net, I forgot it.

Anyway, this time I got into a decent carp bite.

Started off with a smaller model. It was nice to get since yesterday I never got or saw a single bite. The second dead session since I saw all the dead bait fish last month.

Then I got a huge bite. Rod doubled over, drag peeling out, fish rolling on the surface way out there beyond my farthest cast. Good hard fight to shore and the hook pulled. Dang.

Soon, another big bite. Lost this one too. They head straight for the reeds and bury themselves. They won't swim out and I broke this one off trying to horse it out.

Next, another smaller model. At least I landed it.

One more larger model lost in the reeds and the bite died.

I gave it an hour to see if it would pick back up and packed my gear. On the way out I pass the only other fishable spot and see fish swirls, so I decide to give it a shot. After just a few minutes I get a nice size fish to shore.

No action for half an hour and I pack up again. Then I see swirls and decide to cast back out and see wakes as the fish bail out. 15 minutes later, I pack up, only to see swirls, recast and spook the fish away again.

This goes on for another hour or so and I finally make one last cast and throw out the rest of my bait so I have to leave.

So, of course, I get bit. Another nicer fish, and now I have no bait.

Pack it in, grab a burger and a beer, buy some more bait and head home. Not a bad morning. Going to give it another shot tomorrow before I head to the Dr.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Better Luck This Time 10/28/2018
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »
Damn, what a little gem of a spot you found there Steve!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm enjoying the find.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
Ya I know better than to ask this questing but I'm gonna do it anyways... What are you using for bait?? Lake Hemet has gotten so bad with carp they've started eradication type efforts.. During slow times they'll even let you in free if targeting them.. I have videos of hundreds of them jumping behind the boat as I'm doing figure 8's..

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
 There are a whole bunch of crazy mixtures on the web. I don't use them.

Three kernels of canned corn on a #4 mosquito hook. Seems to do the job. Fish all day for $0.89.

How big are these carp? Could be a road trip opportunity.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
They're not super huge but if that's what you're targeting I'd say it's well worth the trip.. Let me know.. I got a good friend that works up there.. I'll get you in..