Author Topic: Grey, Blue, Purple, Red and Yellow (11/4)  (Read 2263 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Grey, Blue, Purple, Red and Yellow (11/4)
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
Len (Skrilla) and I took the boat out today hoping to get out to the 9-mile.  3-words... Pea Soup FOG!

We made a few dozen macks after finally getting out of the inlet without any crashing into us.  We decided to head out when we heard a radio call that the fog lifts at the 9 proper.

It was a little slow heading out as every 15 yards I had to wipe my glasses off from the water running off of them, but soon as we hit the 9-mile, there was a mile visibility.  The water was WARM, Purple and FLAT!

We trolled around and I hooked up on my new reel, but lost him on the bounce.  We ran into puddling skippies and cast the megabaits at them and I finally get one on my bass gear.

We saw a bunch of roving packs of skippies, but didn't have the bait to bring and keep them at the boat, so it was hit and miss all day.  We tried deep drifting macks looking for the elusive yellowfin, but couldn't find anything except the sporadic Skippy that I had fun with on random gear and lures.

We found a bunch of paddies along the way, but we did pretty good catching pickle yellowtail!

We were very hit and miss most of the morning, but had enough going on to make it pretty fun.  Lots of sea lions offshore also which was pretty weird. Not a hint of wind anywhere.

The skip[pies were all on micro bait and we metered a bunch of deep bait that we continued to try for something big, but to no avail.

Finally after trolling by a few paddies, Len goes... We got a big mat at 1:00!

Bigger (smedium sized) yellows on this one as I quickly got 3 on mackerel and Len had a bunch of followers on the iron.  He managed to get one on the swimbait!

One of my yellows slammed the mackerel at the surface and literally was jumping around and got caught up in a bit of kelp.  Both made it in the boat, but dozens, if not hundreds of these nasty bugs inundated the bottom of my boat!  They would try to grab you if you went to throw them overboard!  Ugh, nasty critters!

We had someone come in and start pitching smaller sardine and all the yellows went running to their boat, so that was about it.  We deep dropped some irons and Len got a green rockfish but we called it quits and started to run in.  Lot's of puddling skippes, but we couldn't lure them up on iron or trolling lures.  If we had a scoop of dines, we would have had an epic day, but it was a great day all around, especially for November!

We didn't take many pics, but it was a great day out there.  Not bad catching (lesser) tuna in November on our local banks!  I love it!  I'm sure I missed a bunch of small stories from the day, but that pretty much sums it up.

Thanks for reading and thanks for getting out Len!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Grey, Blue, Purple, Red and Yellow (11/4)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:37:08 AM »
Dang Tom, looks like you guys had a blast.  Gotta ask, what are those weird looking bugs?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:42:40 AM »
Very nice.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:57 AM »
Gotta ask, what are those weird looking bugs?

I had to look it up and found the scoundrels.

https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/kelp-isopod-bull-idotea-wosnesenskii.html

Reminded me of the movie, "The Bay".

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »
Very nice.

We tried trolling next to some balloons with no luck unfortunately.  The fish were more associated with the top of the mountain rather than outside like our trip.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:50 AM »
Gotta ask, what are those weird looking bugs?

I had to look it up and found the scoundrels.

https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/kelp-isopod-bull-idotea-wosnesenskii.html

Reminded me of the movie, "The Bay".

Pods. Great.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
The past few months I've been busy coaching and apparently playing referee for my son's soccer practices and games. I'm a little rusty to say the least. So wetting a line has been a treat especially if it's out on the Curmudgeon. Double treat with seas like yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous even with the fog but as it lifted the ocean's beauty revealed more and more. Biggest swell I remember was when we launched the boat!

Skippies acting like bluefin... yikes! We had no control over that. But what a difference it makes being in tune with your boat. Tom and the Curmudgeon are one hell of a well oiled machine. Not too many windows of oppurtunity but Tom took advantage every time that window opened. I learned a lot by observation and can't wait for the next shot.

That last paddy was thicc. Lots of chasers. I fumbled a few and my best hit was smacking slime on the outboard cover.  ;D  :-[

Great day and great company. Fast ride home glassy all the way to the trailer! The fish count definitely takes a back seat ( unless they went suicidal then I'd be bragging up a storm ). Thanks again Tom for letting me be a stowaway and the sharing some insight on your fish finder. Time to upgrade the grayscale machine.