Author Topic: 11/11 LJ quickie  (Read 2805 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
11/11 LJ quickie
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
Later than normal 7:30am launch. Glad I did. As the sun broke the horizon I saw crystal clear water and FLAT surf on the way out. Water 68. Air went from chilly to warm real fast. Wind was a whisper all morning. Typical holiday weekend crowd enjoying the weather.

Started out with fish finder gremlins. Ended up being bad connection due to mild surface corrosion on the plugs. A little scrubbing and were all good. Then my trolling rig had no anti reverse. Opened it up and loosened the salt cake frosting. That did the trick. Oh the joys of used and abused wave battered kayak equipment.

Tied on a Rapala X-Rap and drug it around. Metered macks all over. Heard a blow up behind me. Something hit the X-Rap but missed. Kept paddling and it hit again. Solid hook set this time. Fought and landed a solid November bonito.

Boxed the area immediately after but the kelp drifted in soon after. Not wanting my sashimi to spoil I decided to head back. Ran into whales and bait ball boils just west of the line. Threw metal for a bit and hooked into what I thought was a mackeral. Fought like a wuss right up until it was alongside the kayak. Big fish! It saw me and ran like hell. Peeled drag and popped off in a blink of an eye. Enjoy the new face jewelry.

Paddled in to crystal clear water. 20ft down was like looking into an aquarium. Flat surf landing dry as a bone. Home, gear put away, and all showered up by noon!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 11/11 LJ quickie
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »
Killer morning.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:39 AM »
Fought like a wuss right up until it was alongside the kayak. Big fish! It saw me and ran like hell. Peeled drag and popped off in a blink of an eye.

You're killing me Len, what was it?  Sounds like a perfect morning   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:07:16 AM »
Wow!  Was that bigger fish a Bonito or a yellow?  Great trip Len!  I might have to come visit you this weekend for the rods.  I'll text you later in the week.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:36:11 AM »
Bigger bone.

Rods are here. Haven't caught anything on em yet. Waiting for the trout truck...