Author Topic: Mixed Bag Fishing (11/18)  (Read 2747 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mixed Bag Fishing (11/18)
« on: November 20, 2018, 06:17:41 AM »
Went out with Steve looking to fish for whatever we wanted to try.  I got 3 new Rainshadow bass rods wrapped by Skrilla and really just wanted to let the little sticks do the talking.
We had a Sea Lion following us everywhere, but after it got a scare from my gaff handle, we were finally in the clear to fish.

I forgot my bucket to fill the livewell, so we just dropped the macks in the cooler for future shark bait.

Bait everywhere!  Tough to catch fish competing with so much meat around.  I wasn't in the mood for dropping down for rock cod, so stuck with the gamefish. 
We trolled and casted for bonito and both were on the board!

My new Rainshadow bass rods were awesome!  Multiple nice bonito on them!

I couldn't swing them in on the light line and we were using them for shark bait, so see Sasquatch if you don't like the gaff placement.  LOL

We cruised into the thick kelp and casted weedless swimbaits for a while.  There were a few bass in the mix of the bait jumping from being attacked.

Did I mention that the ocean was like a lake today?????

I did manage something REALLY big grabbing my swimbait on the drop.  It grabbed the right rod/reel with the braid and I was stoked to see what it was.  It found many kelp stringers, but I managed to get it out.  Unfortunately, it pulled the hook and I'll never know what it was.  I have an idea, but it is making me sick thinking what it could have been.

Otherwise we were off the water by 1:00 and a great half day of local fishing.  It's been a while since we poked around locally to see what's around...

Thanks for reading and until next tide!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Bag Fishing (11/18)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
 It was a beautiful day out there. Not super fishy, but great to be out.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »
Nice.. I just ran myself out of bait.. I tried stuffing it in some of my wife's old nylons to make sure the smalls couldn't pick at it but I think it may have caused me to miss a big strike so I switched back..

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
Nice.. I just ran myself out of bait.. I tried stuffing it in some of my wife's old nylons to make sure the smalls couldn't pick at it but I think it may have caused me to miss a big strike so I switched back..

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure most of the hook is exposed.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure most of the hook is exposed.

I did.. I just think either I got too excited or I packed it too tight or wrong rig for that... But all in all.. I guess I have no idea.. I seen it on some kinda RiverMonsters type show though.. Thought I'd try it..

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:02 AM »
Curious Tom, how do you use the bonito for bait?  I have about 30 lbs of fillets with the skin on, I'm hoping I can cut it in strips and use it that way.  May have to use bait thread, just wondering how you do it. 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
Curious Tom, how do you use the bonito for bait?  I have about 30 lbs of fillets with the skin on, I'm hoping I can cut it in strips and use it that way.  May have to use bait thread, just wondering how you do it.

Steve uses bait thread.  I gave him a big bonito to use.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »

I know with the skipjack I've been using I haven't had any issues with bait staying on my hook as long as there's skin to hook through.. I don't know if that helps you any....

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 03:53:09 AM »

I know with the skipjack I've been using I haven't had any issues with bait staying on my hook as long as there's skin to hook through.. I don't know if that helps you any....

Awesome, that was what I wanted to know.  I'll let you know how it works Saturday evening   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
Way to break those bad boys in!