Author Topic: Black Friday Shopping the Bay (11/23)  (Read 3111 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Black Friday Shopping the Bay (11/23)
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »
Took the annual boat trip with Rubber-hook Roger and Dave out to the big bay looking for some exotics.  We got a late start as they confused J-St ramp with Pepper Park and I was just launched so waited for their arrival.  Got a decent bass in the basin while they were coming over.

Conditions were slightly windy from the south in the morning, but smoothed out.  The plan was to start at the bridge and work our way back at certain spots on the way home.  Things started a little slow, but the bass turned on and we went on a tear! (or tare... never remembered this one for some reason)

Started fishing by 7:30 am and had over 50 by 9:15.  All mixed size bass from small pee-pee bass to just around 14".  We were hoping for halibut, but got no love.  I hooked two corvina right at the boat, but couldn't seal the deal and get them up for a picture.

Only bass shot was from Roger of a mutated top lip bass.

I actually caught a few bass with hook holes in their face.  They looked pretty fresh, so I guess they are just like ravenous Barrett bass.  LOL

We made a move to the south side of the flat and saw three guys in a bass boat in the area I was planning to fish, so opted to try something else.  We started trolling in a real fishy (but deeper area) and I hooked up a big old fat smelt!   LOL
All three hook were in it's damn mouth!

We continued to catch bass.... well I continued as Roger unbuttoned about 12 out of every 13 bass he hooked.  LOL, thus I started calling him Rubber-Hook Roger. 

It was getting past when I was planning on calling it quits and Dave's back was starting to act up, so we ran to where Steve and I have been getting some good numbers of vina.  I said we'll get them here and Dave backed up my claim with an underspin vina!

That was it and we headed back.  I took the counter with me and we only ended up with 87.

Not much in the way of variety, but pretty steady action.  I now know that bass boat was Rasta and will be doing donuts around him the next time I'm out there and see him!  LOL

OK, I won't be doing that Josh...  But I may have to deplete your flatty area for you.  ;D

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday Shopping the Bay (11/23)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
Sounds fun.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:18:00 AM »
Lmao all it takes is one post for you to try to poach my bite  ::) ;D ;)

Thought that might have been ur Honda at the ramp when we launched.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:01 AM »
I took the counter with me and we only ended up with 87.

Any time you need a 'counter' to keep track of fish is a GOOD DAY of fishing    ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
My favorite bay for spotties

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
It's an incredible fishery indeed.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.