Author Topic: Grinner Gathering First Time  (Read 2475 times)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Grinner Gathering First Time
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »
FINALLY,  I was able to attend a Grinner Gathering!

My son, Michael, and I got to the meeting spot at around 4pm to walk around the area during daylight and wait for the crowd to scatter. Lots of tide pooling. We got to see the lay of the reef for future trips. Got lines wet a little after 5pm.

Thus begun the battle with the current and purple and green salad. EVERY would pull to the left. The lack of Sputniks caused for more of a challenge.

The sunset, headlamps came out and the battle continued. After a period of time,  my son noticed a tall figure silhouetted in the distance. It was a Sasquatch sighting. Thank you, Steve, for letting us borrow a 6 oz. Sputnik. The current had other plans, though.

Little by little,  others began to show. Brian (FISH86R) followed by Tom
The current and salad continued......
The conversations were great, as any chance to meet with this community of anglers is welcoming.

Later, we meet Bihn,Mike (Pinoyfisher), and Elliott. And the salad and current continued.

We called it quits around 8pm. We had a thought of heading to MB but the timing just didn't seem to work. Decided to get food and head home with another stripe.

Thank you Tom for arranging this gathering and for the awesome swag. The conversations and Intel is always appreciated. King Neptune got us on this one but, as you stated,  the grinders are out there.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:54:04 PM by lamnidae »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Grinner Gathering First Time
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »
Nice talking with you.

It wasn’t the best conditions, I hoped the Sputnik would at least give you a shot.

Keep at it.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:08:03 AM »
Great meeting you and your son. Conditions sucked a$$, but they are out there. It'll happen...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:04:25 AM »
Great meeting up with you and Mike down there!  We stayed until 10:00 hoping conditions would change by the top of the tide, but no such luck.

Did you catch anything at the bay after you left the surf?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »
Bummer about the conditions but at least you got to meet some folks.  One of these days I'm hoping to finally put some faces to the names   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »
Bummer about the conditions but at least you got to meet some folks.  One of these days I'm hoping to finally put some faces to the names   ;D

Be careful what you wish for!! ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
We didn't go to the bay, after all. The timeframe window before the tide would have peaked would have been about 30 minutes after food and travel.
With the upcoming storm(s), I think we'll hit Fiesta next time, unless conditions are too good to pass up.