Author Topic: Calm Before The Storm (12/4)  (Read 1862 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Calm Before The Storm (12/4)
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »
I ran the beaches looking at conditions after work and they all looked pretty so-so with the kelp and such.  Steve and I chose the spot and went to grab some beers and tacos before the sun started to set.  The owner of the bar said "I got some great whiskey's over here if you guys want a taste test".  Steve was like "I'm born ready for moments like this".
We kept getting poured top shelf stuff one right after the next!  What a treat and all for free to boot!

After warming our bellies with Bourbon and Tacos, we headed out to what looked like bad conditions, but it was the opposite.  We barely even picked up a kelp leaf all night.  No surging water.  Small 1-2 surf.... and Bait Thieves everywhere!  It literally was:

Step 1: Bait Up
Step 2: Cast Out
Step 3: Get bait Ganked
Step 4: reel in and repeat process.

I went through over a dozen fresh macks and only had a ray to show for it.  Steve finally stuck one of the thieves and it was a Calico.

We finally called it quits when we ran out of bait.  No shark bites that we could tell, but it was impeccable fishing conditions!  Too bad this next front might start messing things up especially since there is no sand on the beaches anymore!

Thanks for checking in....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Calm Before The Storm (12/4)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Sounds like us last night..............less the calico.  Perfect conditions, zero grass, no wind and ankle slapping surf.  Had one bump of the right kind, cut off my hunk of bonito just shy of the hook.  Fish or no fish, it was a perfect evening to be on the sand.  Only thing that would have made it better is FREE WHISKEY!!  Tony got cold by around 7:30 so we bailed.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:23:59 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
Wow, sweet conditions for sure! Had a feeling we'd lose some real estate, but hoping there's plenty of sand left for a spike. Should be some nice troughs created and previously covered structure now exposed to hold bait and attract the right kind. I would've made it out if the tides were more in my favor. Hopefully this next storm isn't as bad as the previous one.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »
Definitely a good evening at the bar. The peanut butter whisky was surprisingly good.

I would have traded the drinks for a good bite though.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Definitely a good evening at the bar. The peanut butter whisky was surprisingly good.

I knid of prefer you guys didn't catch any grinners  ;) PButter whiskey does sound pretty good!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »

I knid of prefer you guys didn't catch any grinners  ;) PButter whiskey does sound pretty good!

It’s called Skrewball. We thought it sounded weird, but agreed we would give it a try. I’d drink it against n.