Author Topic: Stolen gear  (Read 2457 times)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Stolen gear
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
Saw this on another site:

(Bill Varney)

A couple of weeks ago I found that my storage facility "neighbor" had broken through our adjoining wall and stolen every rod and reel I've ever owned. Besides the fact that it was a $15,000 loss much of what was taken had great sentimental value to me. My early rods were hand made with the help of my Dad. And that he passed just a couple of years ago it was one of the few things I had to remember him. As you may imagine, I've been very upset and it's just today that I can speak about this.

Black Sabre 865 with a Turks head and the label "Made by Mike's Custom Tackle, Lakewood CAen though they know who it is, have a video and know where he lives that in CA property crimes are not investigated or prosecuted.

If you would be good enough to let me know if you see my rigs for sale I'd very much appreciate it. Here is a list of the missing items:

10 Cousins rods, models 852, 901, 905. Some of these have my name on them, others which were the prototypes do not.

Black Sabre 865 with a turks head and the label "Made by Mike's Custom Tackle, Lakewood CA

Hand made custom wrapped sabre rods with a label "Made by Bill Varney, wrapped by Jerry's Tackle Box

2 CalStar rods

Various Lamiglas rods, trout rods, etc.

Reels:
2 new Penn 50 wides, new and in the box
15 Shimano Sedona or Sahara spinning reels
2 Penn Battle II Reels
5 Shimano Corrrados
Shimano TLD 20 2 speeds (2)
Shimano TLD 10 and 20 single speed
Penn Jigmaster 500's
and a bunch of other rods and reels I can't remember now....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen gear
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 06:26:47 AM »
OMG, that sucks!  I would probably go to jail for going Khashoggi on someone if that happened to me.

I'll keep my eyes out for that stuff. Thanks Eric.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
Id be more than happy to go to jail in order to get my gear back.

Child hood rods and reels plus the thousands of dollars ive invested over the years.

Id also have an instant mid life crisis if my super awesome high end gear disapeared.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 06:34:52 PM »
Quote:

My storage unit, which is in Westminster, was broken in from the ajoining unit. The company, CubeSmart and the Westminster police department have been completely unhelpful in bringing this pig to justice. They know who it is (as he had two units there to steal other people's things), they know where he lives and they even have video of him loading my rods and reels into his car.

The CubeSmart manager would not give me his name or address. The police, Officer Christian Hernandez would not give it to me either and told me that his job was to file a report and that they do not prosecute property crimes. Both did nothing to help me. A few days after discovering my equipment was gone I found that the unit on the opposite side of the rat bastard was also broken into through the wall. And although the owner of that unit had reported the theft two weeks earlier they did nothing to contact me and let me know my unit might have been breeched too.

Today, a friend of mine who was with the LA Sherriff for 40 years called over to the Westminster police department and found that the detective assigned to my case several weeks ago has done nothing and that the police officer stated in his report that I lost $500....eventhough I clearly and repeatedly told him of the extent, inventory and value of the theft. My gosh, two of the reels alone were Penn 50 wides, new in the box...$1,300 each!

Every one of my rods but two were stolen (the two were at a friend's house, thank God). What he took were not only my regular long range rods, all the rods I had made myself as a kid, custom rods I had purchased when working at TC's bait and tackle but also all my Cousins rods including all the prototypes.

If you do come across rods with my name on them or Cousins BV rods that are selling well below the $300 purchase price please let me know.

Again, thank you everyone for your concern and for keeping an eye out for the rods, reels and hopefully to put this a$$ in jail before he steals one of your favorite rods....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
this entire thing is just sickening.  I hope someone catches the bastard and teaches him the meaning of vengeance and fury.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »
Agreed.

I guess the guy really is that stupid to rent a unit under his own name and do the break ins that point back to his own unit.

Jack ass pos

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »

Agreed.

I guess the guy really is that stupid to rent a unit under his own name and do the break ins that point back to himself

Jack ass pos