Author Topic: Curmudgeon Shakedown (12/16)  (Read 1795 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Curmudgeon Shakedown (12/16)
« on: December 17, 2018, 11:37:21 AM »
I haven't taken the Curmudgeon out on the big water in quite a while.  I wasn't even sure what was going on, but Steve and I went out to see what we could see.  We stayed vey local and tried everything from sharks baits to rockfish to halibut.

My first cast and I get a perfect sized shark bait bonito.  Steve and I caught a few macks for the live well and got 3 bonito on the iron.  Well, Steve had a little braid issue on his spool which let me catch most of the macks.  LOL

We hit some area's with macks and they got slammed, but couldn't get the hook in thier lip, so we ended up using too many of our baits.  We then ran offshore a bit and got a few rockfish.  Well, I got a sculpin and Steve caught 4 or 5 different species of keeper fish tacos.

We came in shallower to see if our luck would change, but it was a slow bite and I kept running shallower and shallower to find something worthy.  I picked up a decent little sheepshead and beat Steve to the Goat Punch.

Finally, I got on the motherlode of Whitefish.  Steve was getting his payback as every drift I was getting a whitefish.  Nothing huge, but perfect taco size.

Steve finally got his "White Grub" sheepshead.

I hook something really big, but on 15# test bass rod, it was tough keeping him out of the structure.  I was finally getting it up when Steve yells "Your going to lose him..."  and just then I did....  Bit through the leader, but I think it was a larger sheepshead or possibly a ling.  Oh well.

Steve kept some fish and bait and I have some stuff for dinner now.  Nothing great, but it was nice to recoup in the final hour to make it a decent day.

It was a lot of work when I got home as I had to clean the boat and fish, then empty the boat as I brought it in to have the trolling motor, charger and betteries installed professionally today and needed the boat with nothing in it.

Finished by nightfall and boat went in this morning.  We could have loaded up if we had the GPS anchor trolling motor on the boat today, but the wind made the drifts way to fast.  One shot and you were done.  It will be nice when I can hit a button and we stay in that one spot without anchoring!

Until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Curmudgeon Shakedown (12/16)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »
Sorry about the losing it crack. That was wrong.

Used the fish I kept to make a down payment on next years bait catch.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
Good to see there's still some bonies around. I like whitefish, they're Scrappy and tasty!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:23:37 AM »
We could have loaded up if we had the GPS anchor trolling motor on the boat today, but the wind made the drifts way to fast.  One shot and you were done.  It will be nice when I can hit a button and we stay in that one spot without anchoring!

Never even heard of that feature until I read your post, sounds very cool indeed   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
Sounds like a fun time indeed!
That GPS anchor thing is rad!  Let me know if you need someone to come help you test it Tom  ;)