Author Topic: New here, winter shark questions  (Read 1924 times)

Coreydb

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
New here, winter shark questions
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »
Just been getting the shore sharking fever this past year, only had a few memorable runs other than that a bunch of small leopards. I need some tips and pointers. Like is is 100 percent necessary to bring baits out on yak or can wading out and casting suffice?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:11:10 PM by Coreydb »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: New here, winter shark questions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 07:14:27 PM »
A kayak is not needed for sharks that are manageable on casted gear.  A kayak allows use of bigger baits, targeting bigger sharks, and allows placing baits farther from shore. Different methods, both work.

Coreydb

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
Thank you sasquatch, how's the bite this time of year and what kind of surf should I look for? And advice will help I've been on my own with this journey

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:04:31 AM »
Just been getting the shore sharking fever this past year, only had a few memorable runs other than that a bunch of small leopards. I need some tips and pointers. Like is is 100 percent necessary to bring baits out on yak or can wading out and casting suffice?

Welcome to the boards!

Sasquatch and I usually just cast out to them.  We pretty much feel if you can get 40-60 yards out you are in the zone.  Any longer cast would be a plus, but some of the guys here have gotten them as little as 20-30 yards out, but I think those are just outliers. 

Big sharks will take the smaller baits also, so you don't have to put a 1# chunk of bonito on to cast.  A 3" diameter steak cut of a nice mackerel will fit on an 8/0-10/0 octopus hook just fine and you will probably get an extra 10+ yards on a cast over a mackerel/bonito head or larger chunk of bait.

Finally, there are a ton of places to fish for sharks, but a general rule of thumb is if it's a surfer spot- there is probably a reef there or near by and a good place to fish.  I wouldn't fish there during the day when all of the surfers are out there as it is welcoming trouble, but when it gets dark and they come off the water, the sharks are usually making their way in to feed on the reef critters.

I hope that all helps and be sure to post up any catches you get.  We have a specialty shark list we update to keep any good data on the sharks we catch according to moon phase, tides, baits, etc.

http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=369.0
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Coreydb

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »
Thanks allot! I'll be going out to the shore this weekend! I'll share the catches for sure!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:17:22 AM »
Welcome aboard! Good group here, lots of info available to help you get a grinner!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)