Author Topic: Happy Hali-Days 12/24 & 12/27/18  (Read 2112 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Happy Hali-Days 12/24 & 12/27/18
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »

Took pop's out for a Fish-mas Eve sesh, huge tide swing in the a.m. got on the agua round 1030 as the tide started goin out, we got onto a steady bite jus south of the bridge but there was a ton of debris floating in that area so I opted to move further south to find cleaner agua. Stopped at toms vina spot and got a few bass to the boat b4 I got slammed by the right kine. Had her barely hooked on the underspin and as soon as I went to slide her in the net, she made the head shake that set her free :( fail # 1.

Made a move to see if I could get pops on some more fish. I was outfishing him 17-2 but he did farm half a dozen fish and missed twice as many bites. I told him he needed to work the lure back to boat cuz his drag behind the boat technique wasn't effective with the speed we were getting dragged by the current. He proceeds to make a cast same direction as I did and gets crushed half way back to the boat. Shoulda kept my mouth shut :/ yep its her pops, grab the gaff and after a few trips round the boat I stick her!

Solid 31" booty!

He was stoked and I couldn't help but feel like he stole my fish lol  but seriously I was stoked to put my pops on another big fish! Half hour later we were making our second drift across the zone picking off bass b4 i get crushed. crank down feel heavy dead weight, head shakes. thats her pops, she's big! she's pissed, makes a solid 1st run and starts to come up a bit and I get my 1st few cranks on her, feel more big head shakes and she starts to take some more line, and sticks back to the bottom and pulls before I get a chance to get another crank on her I feel that sickening tug that ends the battle. Bit off clean. Fail # 2. I burned some trees and tried to let my stomach settle a bit and get my head right. We were getting blown around the zone by the wind and the tide fighting each other so I opted to head south a bit and see if I could get anothet good bite. Caught another 30 bass between us b4 I called it a day with bout 70 bass between us and my pop's hali.

12/27/18
Took my cousin out for his bday yesterday and my bro tagged along. High tide at noon so we hit the water lil b4 11. Wind was blowing like crazy, white caps from the kays to nasco. 1st cast I get a chunky grump. Then no one gets anything for almost 10mins, I put 4 more in the boat in the next 4 casts. Then my bro finally gets one and my cuz follows it up shortly after. We made a few more drifts across the zone b4 my cousin gets a good bite. Wasnt sticking to the bottom butbhad crazy head shakes coming up through the water column. Saw a long silver flash, Vina? Wait wtf, Cuda? Yep, pretty decent snot stick for the south bay lol

My bro brought out his panfish rod to make the dinks fun and see how a grumpy felt on 6lb line. He had way too much fun with the spottys and even hooked a flap jack.

My cousin says oh we're in the hali zone? Yeah this whole area is the hali zone lol. Hes using some old 17lb mono on his revo and isnt getting nearly as many bites as i am, and asks if he can use my back up smoke combo. I jokingly tell him he can catch one fish on it. No bull$#it 1st cast he makes he flips the bail over as his underspin hit the bottom and says, why won't it reel? I look at him like wtf did you do to my ish? And the rods loaded up! Son of a bitch! He got bit on the drop! and its the bite you wanna get! Head shakes, drag ripping! Hali-berry! I cant believe what this mofo jus did. I grab the gaff and he plays her out and gets her boat side. Shes legal cuz, get her back up and I'll stick her. She makes one last run and he gets her right where I want her and I stick her right in the belly. My cousins 1st legal! Lucky mofo barely had her hooked too, underspin fell out as soon as the line went slack and she hit the deck. Hes tryin to get a pic from my bro, I'm kinda butt sore he jus caught the 1st legal on my back up set up lol. I make a cast while they're takin pics and I couldn't make this $hit up,  3 cranks in my underspin stops mid crank! Instant Head shake, dead weight, drag rip! That's her! No f*ck@n way! Yep! Put the bitch in the live well this $#its BIG bro! No way! yes mofo get that gaff out and get ready! She's big big! They're both flabbergasted, how the hell did you hook up that quick?!?! She makes a few circles round the boat. B4 we all see her, damn cuz that's a door mat! She's a good one! My bro has the gaff, hes never gaffed a fish b4, my cousins still shaking adrenaline dumpin, hes only gaffed one hali for me b4 and it was a $#it show lol! My bro makes the mistake of tryin to pull towards the boat instead of str8 up so she shoots back down aftet the 1st failed attempt. I coax her back up and coach him through it and he sinks the hook right in the middle of her belly! Holy $#it that was the most hectic 10mins I've probably ever had on my boat, well besides the Leopard - hali back to back few weeks back lmao!

We made another couple drifts and each caught another short hali and another dozen or so bass a piece before we headed for the ramp. 2 legal halis, Easily 90+ spots, 1 sandy, a Cuda, and 2 macks not bad for a 3hr sesh.

Rastafar-gone
B-)<==*~~

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hali-Days 12/24 & 12/27/18
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
Not leaving many flatties for Tom! Bay slay!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
He's not poaching my spot for sure. LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 04:37:18 AM »
Killer session and a great blow by blow read................thanks for sharing Josh
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »

Tom only eats rockfish :P

He's not poaching my spot for sure. LOL

I tried but those paper mouth Vina were camera shy by the campground ;)

Killer session and a great blow by blow read................thanks for sharing Josh

Thanks Verne! I was actually sitting at the dmv when I wrote it !