Author Topic: Homing in on the Halibut (12/29)  (Read 1869 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Homing in on the Halibut (12/29)
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Well. i kind of knew and now I do know for certain, where some halibut are.  Steve and I hit the bay just looking to find some new areas and catch some fish, so i took my mighty little clicker outto get a real tally and not a guesstimate.

It was a very late start as Squatch and I didn't get out until 10:00am.  First stop was an area that I have occasionally fished, but wanted to do some more searching with the current reports coming out.  Apparently I had the magic touch as I had 20 fish by the time Steve got two including 2 halibut.

First was on the swimmy.

Second was on the Blade.

Steve was getting tired of this spot and I recognized a familiar vessel on the water so crept on over to take a peek.  Right boat, different crew.  We decided to head over and try some other areas with the big incoming tide.  The next two spots produced nothing, so I deployed the trolling motor and we strted working some old hot areas which did not cool down a bit!  The numbers started rapidly rising and about 1/3 were small bass, 1/3 were mediums and 1/3 were decent sized.  No monsters, but a super fun time.

Steve was using these crazy looking tube jigs on a blade bait and it was working!  Well, actually everything was working.

It wasn't the big dudes like we were catching out front, but it was so much nicer spending the morning in the back bay and constantly catching!

We got in about 2:30 and had a final tally of 105 fish.  Not too shabby for a half a days work.  Super fun light gear fishing.  Now to home in and poach those bigger butts...  :o ;D :o ;D

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Homing in on the Halibut (12/29)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:32:02 PM »
Super fun. Spot lock in the bay was great. We could fish long after the wind would have made the drift too fast.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:18:32 AM »
Nice numbers, you're a terrible poacher x)

Lil bro got his new pb on Sat :)

33"

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 04:33:38 AM »
I gotta get me one of those clickers..........................oh wait, I can usually count the fish I catch on one hand   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect