Author Topic: A Good Start to 2019 - 1/8/19  (Read 4186 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
A Good Start to 2019 - 1/8/19
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
It seems like forever since I'd been fishing and I desperately wanted to get out on the sand this week.  After checking the surf report, I knew last night was my only chance.  We have huge surf predicted for the rest of the week and sure enough, I could see it getting really big as I drove to work this morning.

I was so anxious to start fishing that I bailed a bit early from work and got to my spot right away.  The conditions looked decent and turned out to be really good the whole night.  2-4 foot waves, very little salad, current, or wind.  I was expecting it to be pretty cold, but I was comfortable the whole evening. 

I set up two rigs.  My 12' Penn Prevail with the Penn 9500SS and my 10' Daiwa Emcast with the Penn 970 Mag Power.  Both with the same terminal rigs, but I baited the longer rod with bat ray and the short one with mackerel.  Once I had them soaking I settled in to enjoy the sunset.

With the weather we've been having and the changing beach terrain, I wasn't expecting much.  It was a really quiet evening.  A couple of people walked the beach with their dogs and kids, but as the sun set I had it all to my self.  I checked my baits a few times while I waited, but it was really slow.  No bites or bait stealers or anything.  Then about 6:00 some kelp rolled through and I had to reel in both rigs and reset.  At around 6:45, I'm thinking to myself that I'll give it another 15 minutes and if nothing happens I'll head home.  Right then my longer rod took a good bounce and then a deep bow!  As I ran up to the rod, the drag was singing that beautiful song of "Fish On"!  It was pulling so hard I had difficulty getting the the rod out of the holder.  I finally did and set the hook a couple times just to be sure.  The fish just kept running.  Must have taken 150 yards on the first run.  I was expecting a Sevengill, but this sure wasn't acting like one.  Once I got him stopped, we had a few minutes of standoff where I couldn't gain line and he wasn't taking any.  When I finally started getting line back, he started heading north.  I worked him in closer and closer as he went, but as soon as I got him in the breakers he took off again and peeled another 80 yards off.  This run must have tired him out because after he turned I was able to work him back in and with a few well timed waves got him in the skinny.  I could see now that it was in fact a Sevengill, and a pretty good size one.  It had a huge head on him and heavy body.  Since I was solo, I loosened the drag and set the rod back in the spike so I could drag him further up on the sand.  This was the heaviest 7 at this length that I've landed.  He cooperated well for a quick hook removal, measurement and pics.  Then I got him back in the water and he took off immediately.  This male taped out at 89".

After he swam off, I sat down for a few minutes to enjoy the adrenaline rush and send pics to a couple friends.
I put out another bait, but it sat idle for the next half hour and it was time to pack up.
Met another buddy on the way out to share some bait then home to tuck the kiddos into bed. 
It was a good day  :)

Stats for Tom:
Male Sevengill
89" long
Tide just started coming in
bat ray bait
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:34:06 AM by xjchad »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Start to 2019 - 1/8/19
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
First and foremost..................congrats my brother.  Stoked for you!!  Secondly, I love it when they bend the rod and run on the initial bite, instead of the old 'bounce' and slack line routine.  It sure gets the blood flowing   ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:25:33 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
Congrats!! Interesting that the bat ray chunk got the bite, need to give that a try.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
Congrats!! Interesting that the bat ray chunk got the bite, need to give that a try.

Ben,
Most of my 7's in the last year have taken a chunk of ray bait.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
Ben,

What about round rays? Does anyone use them as well?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
Ben,

What about round rays? Does anyone use them as well?

I haven't tried personally, but I've heard they work as well.

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:18:07 AM »
It seems like forever since I'd been fishing and I desperately wanted to get out on the sand this week.  After checking the surf report, I knew last night was my only chance.  We have huge surf predicted for the rest of the week and sure enough, I could see it getting really big as I drove to work this morning.

I was so anxious to start fishing that I bailed a bit early from work and got to my spot right away.  The conditions looked decent and turned out to be really good the whole night.  2-4 foot waves, very little salad, current, or wind.  I was expecting it to be pretty cold, but I was comfortable the whole evening. 

I set up two rigs.  My 12' Penn Prevail with the Penn 9500SS and my 10' Daiwa Emcast with the Penn 970 Mag Power.  Both with the same terminal rigs, but I baited the longer rod with bat ray and the short one with mackerel.  Once I had them soaking I settled in to enjoy the sunset.

With the weather we've been having and the changing beach terrain, I wasn't expecting much.  It was a really quiet evening.  A couple of people walked the beach with their dogs and kids, but as the sun set I had it all to my self.  I checked my baits a few times while I waited, but it was really slow.  No bites or bait stealers or anything.  Then about 6:00 some kelp rolled through and I had to reel in both rigs and reset.  At around 6:45, I'm thinking to myself that I'll give it another 15 minutes and if nothing happens I'll head home.  Right then my longer rod took a good bounce and then a deep bow!  As I ran up to the rod, the drag was singing that beautiful song of "Fish On"!  It was pulling so hard I had difficulty getting the the rod out of the holder.  I finally did and set the hook a couple times just to be sure.  The fish just kept running.  Must have taken 150 yards on the first run.  I was expecting a Sevengill, but this sure wasn't acting like one.  Once I got him stopped, we had a few minutes of standoff where I couldn't gain line and he wasn't taking any.  When I finally started getting line back, he started heading north.  I worked him in closer and closer as he went, but as soon as I got him in the breakers he took off again and peeled another 80 yards off.  This run must have tired him out because after he turned I was able to work him back in and with a few well timed waves got him in the skinny.  I could see now that it was in fact a Sevengill, and a pretty good size one.  It had a huge head on him and heavy body.  Since I was solo, I loosened the drag and set the rod back in the spike so I could drag him further up on the sand.  This was the heaviest 7 at this length that I've landed.  He cooperated well for a quick hook removal, measurement and pics.  Then I got him back in the water and he took off immediately.  This male taped out at 89".

After he swam off, I sat down for a few minutes to enjoy the adrenaline rush and send pics to a couple friends.
I put out another bait, but it sat idle for the next half hour and it was time to pack up.
Met another buddy on the way out to share some bait then home to tuck the kiddos into bed. 
It was a good day  :)

Stats for Tom:
Male Sevengill
89" long
Tide just started coming in
bat ray bait

Congrats. Great way to start the new year.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
Good start?! Great start!!! Love the shark selfie, the mouth looks huge! Can you include a pi of the bat ray bait on the hook next time? Peeps are interested. Will give us all a good idea on the size of the chunk and how your hooking it.

I've tried bat ray before, along with the following locally caught fare: round ray, thornbacks, eels, YFC, sandbass, whitefish and rockfish heads, skipjack and YT bellies, BSP, mackerel and bonito. Mackerel and bonito were the only ones that worked for me. I'm pretty sure I haven't given the other baits a fair shake and have only soaked them for a short time compared to my usual go to of macks and bonies. I should start using 2 rods regularly to soak different baits.

Again, sweet grinner Chad! Once the surf calms and weather holds, it should get real fun down here!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
Mike,
Chris told me to use pieces about the size of a frozen burrito  ;D
I cut strips about 2" wide by 4-5" long.  Sometimes a little bigger, but that size still casts really well on my gear.
I hook it one time through one end about 1/2" from the edge.  Bat ray is very tough and it stays on well.
Plus, the crabs can't eat it away very quickly at all.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
Mike,
Chris told me to use pieces about the size of a frozen burrito  ;D
I cut strips about 2" wide by 4-5" long.  Sometimes a little bigger, but that size still casts really well on my gear.
I hook it one time through one end about 1/2" from the edge.  Bat ray is very tough and it stays on well.
Plus, the crabs can't eat it away very quickly at all.

Good to know! I was using wallet sized squares. Will change it up. Thanks!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
Great evening right there.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:21:52 PM »
Oh Man!  Way to go Chad!  I was so hopeful for Steve and I last night, but you had the night I was hoping for.  Well done brother!  I'll get you on the list here soon!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
Thanks guys, pretty stoked to land that shark!  Especially since I wasn't expecting much for the night.
Hoping to hit the big 20 this year, but we'll see.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
Nice! Congrats!

I was out that night too and only found pockets full of grass and now the surf is pumping.
Keep it tight

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »
Nice.. Hopefully conditions change by tonight.. Trying to get back out there..