Author Topic: Snake Bitten and Anti-Venom (1/11)  (Read 2291 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Snake Bitten and Anti-Venom (1/11)
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
Tried to get out before the storm looking for my unicorn (WSB bigger than 30#).  I've caught a lot of legal WSB, but everything over 25# has pulled the hook or busted me off somehow...  Hopefully today was the day!

I got to the WSB grounds and started to do my thing.  Then it happened.... BIG HIT and it was the right kind!  Big head shakes every few minutes and it was nerve racking!

It surprisingly pulled a lot of drag and I finally started getting it to slide up to gaff.  It was a MUCH bigger fish than I expected and I got a little weak in the knees when I saw it.

But, once again.... I was using a live bait hook as I hate circle hooks and it had one last great head-shake and sawed through my 80# leader.  Apparently it inhaled my mack and the leader was running along its teeth for every head shake and eventually slowly cut through the line.  I saw it swim out of sight and I'm about as disgusted as I've ever been while fishing.

This has been over a year (Maybe 2) that I have lost every single "Trophy Fish" that I've hooked.  I used to be above 50% with the really big fish in catch to loss ratio, but I'm literally at 0% now.  (When I say big fish, I mean monster stuff)

Oh well.  Later in the afternoon, the skies erupted with birds and bait.  All sorts of fish were splashing, but with all of the bait in the water, it was tough to hook any of them and they were all running at lightning speed!

I did end up catching a huge Calico Rockfish on a yo-yo iron and a few big macks, but I only brought the huge gear as it was go big or go home. 
I think I am now going to have to retrain my body to fish circle hooks from the boat as I am a beaten man and tired as hell losing all of these big fish.  You did it fish... you broke me... you won...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Snake Bitten and Anti-Venom (1/11)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:26:53 AM »
Ugh, what a heartbreaker Tom!  Sorry about the lost fish!
You'll get it next time!!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
Ton of tuna crab out there! Bet them biscuits are eating well. You'll get it next time.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
Ton of tuna crab out there! Bet them biscuits are eating well. You'll get it next time.
They were hitting fast moving bait. I metered a lot of tuna crab, but they were picking up fin bait greyhounding at the surface. Looked like saury.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »
They were hitting fast moving bait. I metered a lot of tuna crab, but they were picking up fin bait greyhounding at the surface. Looked like saury.

We'll, saury you couldn't land it ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:29:17 AM »

We'll, saury you couldn't land it ;)

ba dat dat!  lol

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:13:37 AM »
I got bummed just reading about it Tom...........................    :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect