Author Topic: Shaking the Rust Off (1/30)  (Read 3009 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Shaking the Rust Off (1/30)
« on: January 31, 2019, 06:35:26 AM »
Steve and I took a detour and drove up to a spot we haven't tried in a while.  Weeds were horrible in the water, but not up on the beach.  After two casts, Squatch moved 100 yards away to see if there was any cleaner water.  I was just hoping the weeds would blow out, but they never did.  I hear a clicker scream and Steve is on!  Knocking rust off, because it busted his line or something.  As he was retying, I moved over about 50 yards to get away from the kelp.  His next cast and he's on again!  He fought it half way in and I was ready to play sand hand when it popped again!  He started to retie a new rig and I still kept getting kelp, so moved further down on the other side of him which helped because there was no salad here.

Steve's rod screams off again and this time got it to the beach.  A 69" female Soupfin just around high on a chunk of skipjack.  It's been a while since Steve last landed a surf shark, so this was cause for some googly eye celebration!

Steve see's my rod doing the 7-gill wobble and when I grabbed it, nothing was there.  I mean nothing...….  Time for me to re-tie. 

I'm a little fuzzy on how many Steve lost due to bites and break offs, but he went through 5 rigs, sinkers and all.  As he was retying again, I finally get a good hit and stuck him!  It seemed smaller at first, but kept getting bigger and bigger as I was getting closer.  I got it in the last wave before hitting the skinny water and KA-POW!  Broken line!  I even took my time with it and couldn't believe it busted my rub leader so close to shore.

Not to be outdone, Squatch hooks up with another big 7-gill!  You could hear the tail flaps and they were loud!  Same deal, Steve gets it all the way to shore and about 20 feet from being able to land it and KA-POW!!!!!  We were feeding these thing rigs and lead!

I was stoked to get another bite and tried my best to reduce the chances of busting this one off.  Finally, got this one to shore.
81" male 7-gill on mackerel, outgoing high tide.

Steve went through his 5 sinkers and 5 rigs, so I loaned him a sinker to keep fishing.  Not bad that he hooked 6 sharks, but a bit rusty that he only got one in.  I hooked 3 sharks, but only got one in.

We did get an occasional critter bite, but it was strictly sharks for the most part.

Until next tide, Happy Hunting!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Shaking the Rust Off (1/30)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »
What a great bite. Too bad we lost so many. Still more surf action than we have had in a long time.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
WOW, congrats, guys! You two had a great night.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:41 AM »
Finally, a shark report! Congrats on a good night! Hopefully after this storm blows out the sharks will still be around.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
Finally, a shark report! Congrats on a good night! Hopefully after this storm blows out the sharks will still be around.

We hooked 9.  That would have easily got you over the "20" count.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
Wow, what an awesome night!  I'm sorry you didn't get more to the beach, but what a great night!

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »
Sick..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
You guys are welcome for chumming the waters for y'all ;) Fished a total of 4 nights solo as recently as Monday night for nada. We all knew it'd turn on soon, was just hoping it'd be for me ;D
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
I can't tell you guys how stoked I am for you, especially Steve.  When I started reading the report it reminded me of early last year, I broke off and donated more rigs in two weeks than I had in the previous 5 years.  Once again Steve......................HELL YEAH!!!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
Great job! Looks like things are picking up again. I can relate to the frustration of losing multiple sharks in a row; it’s especially frustrating since you never know when your next chance’ll be. Glad you guys got multiple opportunities.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
I'm so tempted to drive up there tonight again before these 5 days of "surf-killing weather" shows up.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
I'm so tempted to drive up there tonight again before these 5 days of "surf-killing weather" shows up.

I'd go if it wasn't Kelly's 19th birthday. This weekend is going to suck rainwise.