Author Topic: Extremely Frustrating Night 2/11  (Read 3918 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Extremely Frustrating Night 2/11
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
I normally don't post reports from skunkings but last night was such a mess that I figured I ought to describe it. After a rough couple of months where I hadn't had much time to hit the surf or fish for much other than the occasional Spottie session, I finally. decided to head back out and give sharking a try. I hadn't been able to find any Macks for bait anywhere (it seems like I catch a few whenever I'm fishing for anything else, but always have trouble finding them when I need some) and even struck out trying to catch a few small bat rays. I instead caved in and bought a couple from Zion market. I've never liked using the grocery store macks; they always seem too clean and not slimy/bloody enough but I tried juicing them up with some pro cure to add some extra scent. Showed up to my first spot I did well at last year at around 7:30pm. I don't know if the beach had lost a lot of sand since last fall or something, but within ten minutes I hung up and lost BOTH rigs on BOTH rods. Two brand new rigs I had tied earlier that day, worth probably $40 in total gear between the hooks, wire, sputniks, swivels, rub leader, and about 200 total yards of freshly spooled mono (for some. reason both rigs broke off close to the shore). Words don't describe how frustrated I was. I respooled both of the reels and hastily tied up a few new rigs before recasting. Almost immediately I recognized the dreaded familiar pulling of salad fouling up the line. There was almost no salad on the beach but for some reason I couldn't keep a bait in the water for more than a minute before it started to get dragged around and I would need to haul in 40lbs of soggy dead weight. I finally gave up after being at the spot for over 2 hours and maybe having my lines in the water for 10 minutes of that time.

I then moved to another popular spot a bit south and found that the sand had disappeared as well. It was a struggle even finding somewhere to stick my sand spikes in; I could only push them through a few inches before they hit solid rock and wouldn't go any further. I cast out both of my lines again and although there was no salad, the current at the spot was ripping and still pulling line off the clicker within minutes. Add a couple horrible backlashes on top of everything and it was no time at all before I threw in the towel. Possibly my most frustrating session to date, and one that left me with absolutely no clue what's going on or where to go from here. I can live with putting in time and catching no fish, but not even being able to really fish and spending the whole time battling conditions and gear issues is another story. Very frustrating and thought I'd update.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely Frustrating Night 2/11
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Kam, we have all had those types of trips. Lost rigs and weed monsters are par for the course. It doesn't get any easier, but you're not alone in that situation. Making me rethink my ideas of fishing today. Keep putting in time!

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:07:24 PM »
I felt every word of that.  Been there more times than I care to admit.... 

BTW, there isn't any sand anywhere.  Not sure where it all went either. There is also lots of hidden cobblestone hiding under what sand there is.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Dude. Been there. Lost 5 rigs and 150 yards of mono last time I had a bad one.

Don’t know how you guys fish two rods. Too much work for me. No time to enjoy my beer.

Clean beach with weeds in the water sucks. You drag all the gear, get set up, thinking how nice it looks, then it’s miserable with huge clumps of crap. Ugh.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
I feel you Kam. Hurts even worse when it the only night you had out in a long time.

This time of year the sand is gone from the beach and from the reefs. Do not cast onto them, be off to the side.

Snag city in the winter.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:37:32 AM »
Haha.. Classic part of fishing..

Mack tip... Use a 1 oz weight, a GREEN glow sick and whatever size hook you want.. Anchovy tail for bait and just start from half way down a pier somewhere working both sides till you find them... Keep casting and keep the glow stick where you can barely see it..

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 05:14:44 AM »
Don’t know how you guys fish two rods. Too much work for me.

I'm with Steve on this one, it's all I can do to handle one rod.  Bummer about the session, we've all had them.  Keep at it and your day will come   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »
1 rod for me as well.

I got sick of dealing with double hook ups.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »

Bragger!!  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »

Bragger!!  ;)

I think he meant while he was catfishing.   ;D :o ;) ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:37 AM »

Bragger!!  ;)

Lol :D

Double hookups are still double hookups! I have yet to catch a cat.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

Bragger!!  ;)

Lol :D

Double hookups are still double hookups! I have yet to catch a cat.
They're making fun of me  ;D

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »
Sounds like a grinner gathering LOL ...

Not that I've caught a lot of sharks compared to these other die hard night owls ... but all of mine have been snagged on ZION market Macs. My bite & catch ratio is pretty good compared to number of trips out, so I wouldn't put down the zion frozen as a negative. Just my $.02 ... Oh yeah. Lost rigs a plenty.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:22:49 PM by WheresMyBeer »