Author Topic: Team VC Bat Fight 2019 Report  (Read 3018 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Team VC Bat Fight 2019 Report
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:22:33 AM »
Well I'm crazy busy right now so this will be brief.  I was in Indianapolis all last week and flew home late Friday night.  Spent the morning with my family and after lunch my dad and I headed out with my 3 oldest kids.  I weren’t expecting much and didn’t plan to stay long.  Conditions were good as far as surf and salad, none of either, but it was cold and the wind kept getting stronger. 
We fished about 3 hours mackerel on the long rods and squid on the critter rod.
About half way in my dad gets a nice bounce on his rod and after putting pressure on the circle hook he starts loosing line fast.  Thought for sure we were gonna land a nice bat, but after a couple minutes, the fight changes and I’m seeing tail slaps.  Knew then it was a sevengill, and it was putting up a great fight.  After another run, he got it in close, but is just stayed out in waist deep  water, refusing to get any closer.  Joe and I didn’t want to wrestle with it out that far and waited until my dad was able to finally coax it close enough to get our hands on it. 
Once we had it beached I realized why it was so hard to get in.  This male was big and fat!  Measured at 98” and had to have been 180-200 lbs.  We took some quick pictures and let the kids check it out and then returned it to the sea.  I had to get him in deeper water and rock him a bit, but he finally kicked away strong.

After that, the long rods stayed quiet, but the critter rod was keeping the kids busy.  They had a blast and their smiles made my heart happy!

I wore the stripe all day, but I’ve never been more happy to be skunked. 
It was a great day!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:30:42 AM by xjchad »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Team VC Bat Fight 2019 Report
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »
It's sharky-shark time!  Right on boss!  I love the family all got in on the action even if you got skunked.

Nice going Bussanich Family!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »
Really a great fish. Cool that the kids got to see grandpa bring it in.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
Well I'm crazy busy right now so this will be brief.  I was in Indianapolis all last week and flew home late Friday night.  Spent the morning with my family and after lunch my dad and I headed out with my 3 oldest kids.  I weren’t expecting much and didn’t plan to stay long.  Conditions were good as far as surf and salad, none of either, but it was cold and the wind kept getting stronger. 
About half way in my dad gets a nice bounce on his rod and after putting pressure on the circle hook he starts loosing line fast.  Thought for sure we were gonna land a nice bat, but after a couple minutes, the fight changes and I’m seeing tail slaps.  Knew then it was a sevengill, and it was putting up a great fight.  After another run, he got it in close, but is just stayed out in waist deep  water, refusing to get any closer.  Joe and I didn’t want to wrestle with it out that far and waited until my dad was able to finally coax it close enough to get our hands on it. 
Once we had it beached I realized why it was so hard to get in.  This male was big and fat!  Measured at 98” and had to have been 180-200 lbs.  We took some quick pictures and let the kids check it out and then returned it to the sea.  I had to get him in deeper water and rock him a bit, but he finally kicked away strong.

After that, the long rods stayed quiet, but the critter rod was keeping the kids busy.  They had a blast and their smiles made my heart happy!

It was a great day!

Great report! Congrats!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
The smiles say it all Chad.......................awesome   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
Where was my invite 😟

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
You guys are getting them!! Kids look so stoked!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »

It was a great day!

Great Pictures Chad! Congrats!