Author Topic: 2019 Surf Casters Shark Tournament  (Read 3503 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
2019 Surf Casters Shark Tournament
« on: April 06, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »
April 06, 2019 through December 31, 2019

I'm going to start looking for donated prizes and contact a few places to see if we could score something decent as prizes go. Right now we will have a donated Rainshadow tuna popper rod all custom hand wrapped by Len (Skrilla).  More prizes will be on the way.

Once prize packs are collected and sorted, it will be based on this order of typical surf/bay critters.

Rules

-No Second Place for each of the categories, only the top dog in each category wins.

-Only Surf-Casted baits for sharks only. No drones, kayaks, bait boats, etc. will be counted.  Only for casted baits from the surf.

-a tape measure MUST be used and viewable in one of the pictures taken in any form to show you had a measuring device handy.

-a Clear picture showing the entire shark (and angler if possible)

-Only legal species you are allowed to target and catch, count.  A non-legal species like a BSB or any other protected species by the DFW rules

-Only "Posting" P-Soul members are eligible.  All fishing contests are competitions in which all members including moderators are eligible.   
C-P-R ONLY!!!

-Shoreline based/Surf casted/caught only.  Rod has to be affixed into a sand spike on the beach or bay shoreline.  (No pier sharks will be counted)

-Pictures are mandatory to be counted.

-Contest ends on December 31st, 2019 at 11:59p.m.

If anyone wants to donate or request donations from their local tackle shop, it would be greatly appreciated to speed up the process in starting this contest.
If any tackle shop or landing donates, I will advertise for them on the website free for month.

If there is anything that needs finer detail in explaining, I'll modify the rules to reflect it but it should be pretty straight forward.

In an event of a tie, the person with the "CLEAREST" tape shot or has the easiest visual evidence, will be declared the tie-breaker.  In event, it appears even, then a vote/poll will be put on the Prehistoric Soul Facebook Page to declare the tie breaker.  In case that comes out as  tie, I will make the final decision.

Good Luck!

Sevengill/Soupfin and other major shark species

1)  Sasquatch 92" 7-gill (4/30)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:25:29 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Surf Casters Shark Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Don't forget to have a tape or something at least partly in the shot.  At least we know a measurement was taken with some visual evidence. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:13:13 AM by Latimeria »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
If you guys get out surf shark fishing, just have a soft tape measure in one picture with the shark (Easy to throw into your pocket).  Even if it is not stretched out measuring the fish in the picture, it's to just prove it has been officially measured and not someone measuring up to their own foot prints or something. Hanging around your neck would be acceptable with the shark in the pic because it shows you had something available on hand to even measure the shark.   
I took down the leopard shark contest as it's too hard to keep up with, but I laid these rules out for prizes from the get-go, so don't be butt hurt if your shark doesn't qualify.
There aren't many sharks that qualify for prizes because of this, but there is still a half a year to go.
Just an FYI

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:27:49 AM »
Sasquatch is leading the pack with a 92" 7-gill caught on 4/30

There's a few 90" models tied for 2nd, but not the lead fish for sure.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:13:40 AM »
So, there was very little in the way from donations this year as I was pulled away from many of my fishing related activities.  I'm going to reach out soon to see if I could secure some swag for next year if not some for this year.

In the meantime, I picked up some Great White shark tooth casts.  The real ones are crazy expensive into the thousands of dollars depending on the size of the tooth, so this was much better on my wallet comparatively and will hold up better as necklaces anyway.

I'm going to wrap one of these teeth as a necklace for the winner.