Author Topic: The Night That Almost Wasn't (4/16)  (Read 5732 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Night That Almost Wasn't (4/16)
« on: April 17, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
MSW was calling for bigger surf while there was a small craft advisory all day.  I had my doubts whether I was going to fish or not since I had to come home to watch my daughter for a while, but Steve called me from PSSK and said the surf looked very manageable.  I packed the truck and headed up after dinner.

I was throwing huge pieces of bonito and was just sorting my gear out when the clicker started screaming!  I felt like I hooked a freight train!  Deep inside, I was thinking it was the Tax Man since the sheer weight if it was incredible.  It almost spooled met twice and had only a few dozen wraps on the spool.  I'm not sure how long it took to get in, but my back and shoulders are jacked this morning.  I was finally got it in real close and I saw Squatch turn away with the tail rope and start walking up the beach.  WTF is he doing???  Then he walks back down while I'm reeling up to it and see a monster bass in the suds.

Squatch takes a quick few shots as I pull the hook and it ripped right back out to sea!  I was nervous about falling on the spikes since it never left the water. 

Money shot.

I was sore as hell from that, but amped at the same time.  Not long later squatch is on!  As I was tail grabbing his Sevengill, he said "You're on also!"  I finished pulling his shark up and ran to my rod.  Fish on!

I got it all the way into the crashing waves, when it rolled and spun up into the shock leader and busted it!  It looked like from rolling in the leader, it gave one of the teeth an opportunity to touch and cut the line.  Damn it.....

Steve's 84" male Sevengill.

His next cast and he's on again!
After a longer fight, he gets up a beautiful 90" Sevengill!  Damn, back to back and 3 sharks hooks in 3 casts!

Squatch's 90" female Sevengill

We kept fishing, but the salad and kelp monsters started to roll in and was unbearable.  It was time to call it quits.

Not bad for a night I wasn't even expecting to get out.  We went 3 for 4 on bites and got some legit ones to boot!

Squatch is keeping ahead of Mike!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The Night That Almost Wasn't (4/16)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
HOLY CRAP!! OUT OF THE SURF!?!?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:44:13 AM »
HOLY CRAP!! OUT OF THE SURF!?!?

Yep
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
That's definitely one for the books.. NICE!!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:16:54 AM »
You are a bsb magnet 8)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
An ABSOLUTE MONSTER!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »
Hell of a time to catch the flu. Fantastic  job though, absolutely unreal session!! Amazed you were able to stop the BSB from spoiling you. Also Steve, you look awfully familiar. I feel like I’ve seen you around the UCSD campus lately.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »
Hell of a time to catch the flu. Fantastic  job though, absolutely unreal session!! Amazed you were able to stop the BSB from spoiling you. Also Steve, you look awfully familiar. I feel like I’ve seen you around the UCSD campus lately.

I'm here every day. Say Hi next time.

It was a pretty interesting night. That bass hit like a freight train and dogged Tom hard. I had the tail rope all ready, but when I got a look at the fish the first time I just saw fins. They didn't fit anything I could think of. When I saw it was a big BSB I ditched the rope and got ready to lip it. Takes both hands on one of these. I managed to grab it, but it kept twisting loose. Luckily we were able to control it for hook removal and a couple pics. It is something else to watch that big bass swim away like a spotty in the bay.

Oh yeah, I got a couple nice fish too.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »

It was a pretty interesting night. That bass hit like a freight train and dogged Tom hard. I had the tail rope all ready, but when I got a look at the fish the first time I just saw fins. They didn't fit anything I could think of. When I saw it was a big BSB I ditched the rope and got ready to lip it. Takes both hands on one of these. I managed to grab it, but it kept twisting loose. Luckily we were able to control it for hook removal and a couple pics. It is something else to watch that big bass swim away like a spotty in the bay.

You answered the question I was gonna ask on how land one. Such a cool looking fish and tasty too! Congrats.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »

You answered the question I was gonna ask on how land one. Such a cool looking fish and tasty too! Congrats.

Might be tasty but comes with a side of a huge fine for protected species violation.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

Might be tasty but comes with a side of a huge fine for protected species violation.

Always one to point out the obvious. Unless of course you’re fishing Mexican waters.

Nice outing guys! Those BSB are brutes!
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »

Always one to point out the obvious. Unless of course you’re fishing Mexican waters.

Nice outing guys! Those BSB are brutes!

Much tastier in Mexico  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
Tried to think of something 'catchy' to say, but I'm at a loss for words.  FRICK'N AWESOME
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 04:57:50 AM »
2X what Vern said!  8)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »
MSW was calling for bigger surf while there was a small craft advisory all day.  I had my doubts whether I was going to fish or not since I had to come home to watch my daughter for a while, but Steve called me from PSSK and said the surf looked very manageable.  I packed the truck and headed up after dinner.

I was throwing huge pieces of bonito and was just sorting my gear out when the clicker started screaming!  I felt like I hooked a freight train!  Deep inside, I was thinking it was the Tax Man since the sheer weight if it was incredible.  It almost spooled met twice and had only a few dozen wraps on the spool.  I'm not sure how long it took to get in, but my back and shoulders are jacked this morning.  I was finally got it in real close and I saw Squatch turn away with the tail rope and start walking up the beach.  WTF is he doing???  Then he walks back down while I'm reeling up to it and see a monster bass in the suds.

Squatch takes a quick few shots as I pull the hook and it ripped right back out to sea!  I was nervous about falling on the spikes since it never left the water. 

Money shot.

I was sore as hell from that, but amped at the same time.  Not long later squatch is on!  As I was tail grabbing his Sevengill, he said "You're on also!"  I finished pulling his shark up and ran to my rod.  Fish on!

I got it all the way into the crashing waves, when it rolled and spun up into the shock leader and busted it!  It looked like from rolling in the leader, it gave one of the teeth an opportunity to touch and cut the line.  Damn it.....

Steve's 84" male Sevengill.

His next cast and he's on again!
After a longer fight, he gets up a beautiful 90" Sevengill!  Damn, back to back and 3 sharks hooks in 3 casts!

Squatch's 90" female Sevengill

We kept fishing, but the salad and kelp monsters started to roll in and was unbearable.  It was time to call it quits.

Not bad for a night I wasn't even expecting to get out.  We went 3 for 4 on bites and got some legit ones to boot!

Squatch is keeping ahead of Mike!

I second the statement: HOLY CRAP! What a phenomenal night! congrats!