Author Topic: My Latest Project  (Read 2432 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
My Latest Project
« on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
In 2019 thus far I've only gone shark fishing twice. I'm definitely planning on getting back out on the sand in the next week, but with all the reports people have been posting I wanted to let everyone know that I haven't been just sitting around on the couch. A few weeks ago I bought Mike's old scupper pro 15' ocean kayak and have been getting some good use out of it in San Diego's inshore fisheries. I've mainly been using it at night to target Sand Bass in the main channels of the big bay. I probably should have gone out first during the day to familiarize myself better with the body of water, but after the first outing there haven't been any difficulties. Success has been great so far. As long as there's a strong current (best has been during peak outgoing) the turdrollers have been aggressive and willing. Average size ranges from 12-16'' with some larger models topping 20''. Not huge for the species but a great fight on the Spottie rod. They haven't been too picky about offerings either; I've mainly been using 6'' swimbaits on 3/4-1.5oz leadheads to get down in the current. Lots of smaller calicos and a few good sized spotties in there as well.

I'm planning on using the yak to target halibut, bass, or bay kitties during the day next; I'd like to explore more areas with better vision. I'm planning on taking it on the ocean for calicos/bonito/rockfish/possibly yellowtail (a sleigh ride through the kelp without pedals doesn't sound like a time though) hopefully this summer once I get a marine radio and a few other safety necessities. Right now it's a very bare-bones setup and I'm planning on staying true to the minimalism as much as possible; fishing kayaks outfitted with tons of stuff are great but sacrifice mobility. A rod holder or two, a simple fish finder setup with as little hull-drilling as possible, and a better tackle-storage system are all that I'm really planning on adding. My dad and I have Hobie outbacks back home in Portland and while they're the real deal they can be pretty slow to run as well as to set up/tear down. Not to mention Hobie products are EXPENSIVE. One of their safety flag/light systems was almost $100 so I opted for a couple bike lights instead.

Below is a link to some of the bass from the last few weeks. Tight lines and I hope to see you on the sand in the next few weeks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/79oyNbj8zKT4Mf7q9
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:40:17 PM by Kam_Walsh98 »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: My Latest Project
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:51 AM »
Nice bass Kam!  I love the springtime bass fishing and out of the kayak must be outstanding.  I kind of knew you weren't just sitting home on your couch either... hahahaha
You can't catch them from your computer chair.