Author Topic: Surf Sharks Galore 4/23/19  (Read 2244 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Surf Sharks Galore 4/23/19
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
 After Monday nights salad bomb, we were hesitant to hit the same spot. I got down in the daylight to check it out and it seemed to have moved down the beach. Good news.

Hit the taco shop for some dinner and a few beers while the beach cleared out.

Got down a little earlier than usual to find clean water and empty sand. Set up next to some sunset watchers and threw out a bait. Answered all the usual questions, graciously accepted their well wishes, and proceeded to get bit. Grabbed the rod to set the hook and nobody was home. I did see some surface splashes in the zone. Probably giving me the fin.

Tom showed soon after. Would have been there sooner but the sunset watchers were pumping him for info. Checking my story I guess.

Anyway, not long after, I get bit, and manage to land a nice fish.

84" male mackerel incoming 2-3'

Then Tom get a big hit, fights it to the second wave, and just as I spot it in the water, it breaks off. Leader frayed, probably wrapped up and wore through the 100lb.

I get another bite and set the hook too soon. Pulled it right out of his mouth.

Tom's rod is bouncing with bass and lobster hits. He managed to land one bass at some point.

My rod goes off again. Screamer, straight out. I'm thinking its my turn to get spooled by a BSB. Then it turns and comes in pretty quick. Tom just about lost 3-4 different body parts trying to land that feisty SOB.

78" male on bullet tuna/baby bonito from seafood city. First fish on that bait after many tries.

Think I missed another bite. So did Tom.

Then he gets slammed and its my turn to grab a green angry fish. The smaller ones come in quicker and still have a lot of fight left in them.

Tom was very happy to have broken his recent streak of bad luck landing fish.

80" male on mackerel, maybe bonito. Still on the incoming.

Couple more bait changes and I'm on again. Bigger model this time.

90" male on bullet tuna

This one looked like it swam off fine, but as I was organizing myself to make another cast, I hear Tom yell. Look over and see he is grabbing my shark where it washed up a little down the beach. I got it back out through the surf and it swam off again. We kept watch and didn't see it again.

Tom threw a couple more baits while I took a breather. Then one last bait and on the road at 11.

Super tired at work right now, but considering a nap this afternoon and heading out again tonight.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Sharks Galore 4/23/19
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:56:21 AM »
Super tired at work right now, but considering a nap this afternoon and heading out again tonight.

Don't you make me pack my gear up again!!!!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »

Don't worry, I'll see him there and he can sand hand for me.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »

I’ll go!
Keep it tight

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »
You guys are killing me. Been wanting to get on the sand for weeks.
Great to hear they are out there.

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »
After Monday nights salad bomb, we were hesitant to hit the same spot. I got down in the daylight to check it out and it seemed to have moved down the beach. Good news.

Hit the taco shop for some dinner and a few beers while the beach cleared out.

Got down a little earlier than usual to find clean water and empty sand. Set up next to some sunset watchers and threw out a bait. Answered all the usual questions, graciously accepted their well wishes, and proceeded to get bit. Grabbed the rod to set the hook and nobody was home. I did see some surface splashes in the zone. Probably giving me the fin.

Tom showed soon after. Would have been there sooner but the sunset watchers were pumping him for info. Checking my story I guess.

Anyway, not long after, I get bit, and manage to land a nice fish.

84" male mackerel incoming 2-3'

Then Tom get a big hit, fights it to the second wave, and just as I spot it in the water, it breaks off. Leader frayed, probably wrapped up and wore through the 100lb.

I get another bite and set the hook too soon. Pulled it right out of his mouth.

Tom's rod is bouncing with bass and lobster hits. He managed to land one bass at some point.

My rod goes off again. Screamer, straight out. I'm thinking its my turn to get spooled by a BSB. Then it turns and comes in pretty quick. Tom just about lost 3-4 different body parts trying to land that feisty SOB.

78" male on bullet tuna/baby bonito from seafood city. First fish on that bait after many tries.

Think I missed another bite. So did Tom.

Then he gets slammed and its my turn to grab a green angry fish. The smaller ones come in quicker and still have a lot of fight left in them.

Tom was very happy to have broken his recent streak of bad luck landing fish.

80" male on mackerel, maybe bonito. Still on the incoming.

Couple more bait changes and I'm on again. Bigger model this time.

90" male on bullet tuna

This one looked like it swam off fine, but as I was organizing myself to make another cast, I hear Tom yell. Look over and see he is grabbing my shark where it washed up a little down the beach. I got it back out through the surf and it swam off again. We kept watch and didn't see it again.

Tom threw a couple more baits while I took a breather. Then one last bait and on the road at 11.

When I really learn how to fish, I want to be like you guys, someone who catches fish consistently! Congrats, on another stellar session gentlemen!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:22:03 PM by lightline21 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:02:22 PM »
Simply amazing guys, absolutely awesome session.  I'm totally stoked for you   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect