Author Topic: Had to get on Steve’s level.  (Read 3291 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Had to get on Steve’s level.
« on: April 25, 2019, 02:46:35 AM »
Arrived at the OGSK before sunset and scoped out some holes, most were covered by bikinis and not headed my direction.

Found some fishable water and set up my casting rod and slide rod. Little after sunset I get a ripper on the cast rod and am bowed up with something heavy. Few rights and lefts and some headshakes have me sure it’s a leopard and it’s in the skinny but I can’t see it. Line pops... then I see it. Big leopard with a high back, big dorsal and tail sticking out of the water and it just cruised off... with my leader and weight, poor girl.  She was big though, I was impressed. Checked my line and it looked like I ran it across a knife... some sharp objects out there.

Well I didn’t bring anymore leaders or material and just have slide stuff so I rig that up. Send out a bait and let it soak. After awhile I notice weeds on The line so I walk out and clear them and look around In the crystal clear water and right in front of me is a Small round ray and to the side is a shovel. Start looking around and then see a small smooth hound shark. I haven’t even heard of a smooth hound in like 5 years!

Anyways I end up having to make another cast and slide another bait and got nailed by the asshole round ray.

Kaipo helped me carry my rods to the truck and I then knew what it was like to be Steve back in 2012 (ish?).

I’ll be back.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:48:28 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Had to get on Steve’s level.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:27:57 AM »
Anyways I end up having to make another cast and slide another bait and got nailed by the asshole round ray.

Bummer man, hope you feel better quick   :'(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:37:31 AM »
That sucks.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:59:29 AM »
Friggand rays!  I hate when I see them at night.  I feel like I wear my waders much later in the spring than usual in the surf just to try and combat those nasty fuggers!
Heal up boss!

Slide baiting in the surf...  Is the bait reaching the end by the sinker at all? or is it stopping short and dangling in the zone? I'm just curious with the shallow beach line we are usually dealing with.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 07:09:24 AM »
Friggand rays!  I hate when I see them at night.  I feel like I wear my waders much later in the spring than usual in the surf just to try and combat those nasty fuggers!
Heal up boss!

Slide baiting in the surf...  Is the bait reaching the end by the sinker at all? or is it stopping short and dangling in the zone? I'm just curious with the shallow beach line we are usually dealing with.

I’m not sure. I get a way further cast and as long as the bait gets over the first breaker it gets sucked out quick. I’ve only gotten rays so far but have missed two good bites on baits that I could not have gotten out unless I slide or kayak them. Trying to dial in the right hooks now.
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »
That sucks.

I’ve finally felt your pain lol. Although you described it a little worse. I’ve been hit by sculpin and small bats and it was nothing like this one.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
When I got stuck on the inside leg, it burned like a MoFo, but it sounds like the foot might have been worse as pain goes.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Damn, that sucks Chris! Landing that leo would've helped with the pain. The scoping out of holes, "but they were covered in bikinis"... Lol!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »
It does hurt bad. Damn you are all on fire and here I am stuck in Oregon. At least I saw some grinners at the aquarium

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »
It does hurt bad. Damn you are all on fire and here I am stuck in Oregon. At least I saw some grinners at the aquarium

A nice sturgeon would make a lot of people jealous.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:21:10 PM »
Only brought my light gear and it’s been all stripes for me 😕. I hope to join the fun in a few weeks... I hope

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
Damn, that sucks Chris! Landing that leo would've helped with the pain. The scoping out of holes, "but they were covered in bikinis"... Lol!!!

Was wondering if anyone would catch that lol

Taking a trip to the big bay end of next month. Sturgeon and long rods are on the mind but I haven’t looked into it much. Going up to the PNW and farting a big one would be awesome!
Keep it tight

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:46 PM »
How’s the foot Chris?

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »
It’s fine actually. After a good hot soak and 3 hours of sleep before work this morning it felt really good. Very little soreness around the puncture and able to walk normal. I forgot about it until I checked this lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:31:40 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight