Author Topic: Double Vision (4/30)  (Read 2213 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Double Vision (4/30)
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »
Plans were originally scrapped for Tuesday since my wife had a business dinner with staff from Switzerland.  I guess the swiss have holes like their cheese since the plans crumbled by noon on Tuesday.  I called Squatch and he was driving up and down the 101 trying to pick out a spot to fish.  He found a place that interested him and he talked me into driving up and giving it a shot.

Conditions were decent.  Mostly small surf, but some bigger scarier ones every 15 minutes or so.  Not exactly the ideal beach, but it had sand to stick a spike and that's all we needed.

Baits were in for about an hour and we both missed a good shark hit.  Finally Squatch hooks up and is on.  I ran down to clear my line and all of a sudden my rod started taking off! Double header!

It was a bitch trying to land them on this particular beach with the larger surf, but we managed and took a quick measurement and shot before getting them back in to see them swim off.  It was no easy task, but both were fired up and swam off well.

Squatch 92" Female - Mackerel

Me - 82" Male - Mackerel

High Tide.

That the first real double header of Sevengills that I can remember Steve and I having.  In any case, it was pretty awesome.

Not long after the tide switch and my rod starts dumping line.  Fish on!

It felt different, but was definitely a shark.  It turned out to be a fat 74" female Soupie!  Unfortunately it spit up it's stomach, so we didn't waste too much time trying to get a good pic.  We measured, snapped a pic and got her back asap.  It took an extra 5 minutes, but she retracted her stomach and swam away strong. 

I don't remember many soupies inverting their stomach and I pulled the hook out with my hand so I'm not really sure why it happened.  I just hate seeing that.

Well, that was it.  We both got rocked hard by another shark hit, but lost them and then the rods went quiet.  It was a late one and my butt is dragging here at work this morning.  The streak continues!

Thanks for reading and until next tide...

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Double Vision (4/30)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
Not exactly the ideal beach

Reading the report, it looks like the "ideal" beach to me.  Absolutely awesome guys, many congrats!

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »
Better to have live fish than good pics in my mind.

Pretty cool to get a double.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
You guys are killing me!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
Better to have live fish than good pics in my mind.

Pretty cool to get a double.

Agreed. Pretty proud that I haven't killed one yet. Double 7s is pretty cool.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 05:33:15 PM »
I bet that was a thriller getting a double. Nicely done.