Author Topic: Attack of the Killer "B's" and a Nice Grinner to End the Evening (5/9)  (Read 3084 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
So, I packed the truck on Tuesday night hoping to get out on Wednesday for the great rising tide.  Steve texted and said he was out, but my bait was thawing and needed to get used.  I get a text that he was back in and we picked a spot in the middle to meet.  I was just packing up and got another text that he was a little premature for saying he was going and needed to be around the house for medical oversight.
I ran up to find decent conditions.  Tide was about mid way up and the beach had some random eel grass and kelp, but thankfully the water appeared to be semi-clean after 3 practice casts.  Every 15 minutes, the sets would come in pretty big, but it was a nice 2’-3’ for the most part.
First cast and I had my bait ganked.  Second cast and the bait was ganked.  Third cast and I was on, but the bait got ganked again… this happened a few more times before I realized I was casting into a swimming pool filled with calico!

Every cast for 14+ casts and I was bit.  I started cutting smaller chunks since I was burning through my baits at record pace.  I finally started holding the rod after the cast and started to catch them more frequently.

I moved down 20 yards in hoping to get away from them and pinned on a big ass chunk of mack.  It went about 25 yards shorter than my previous casts, but I left it out there.  I unbuckled my waders to take a piss and all of a sudden my reel starts screaming out!  Trying to stop pissing mid-stream, pulling up my pants and grabbing my waders so I don’t trip and bite it on the way to the reel was a little much.  Soon as I grabbed the rod, it dropped it.. UGH…. 0-1 on sharks already, but I pinned another bait on and kept going.

The bass and critters kept stealing baits and I was on my last mackerel out of the dozen I brought, but it was a big mackerel.  I was sitting on my cooler when I saw a bounce in the rod and then the line just went slack!  Shark on!
It was a sevengill as I could hear the tail slapping and got it into the white water.  I was heading down to grab it, but my line was going left and the shark was thrashing in the wash to the right.  WTF?!?  I tried reeling to see what the hell was going on, and realized I had a HUGE KELP and GRASS ball on my line! The shark was going right, but he couldn’t pull the ball to the left since it was so big.  I loosened my drag a little and ran down to tail the shark.  As I grabbed it, I slipped into the surf and it turned on me!  f@ck!  It almost got me and I was freaking lucky as hell it didn’t latch on.  I grabbed the tail, but force of the kelp ball yanked it out of my hands and then pulled the hook!  I got to watch it slowly swim back out to sea… and then had to battle the kelp ball to get my hook and rig back which is now all tangled up in the ball of hell!   UGH.  0-2 on sharks tonight.

I cut the line for a quick slide through the kelp and retie the same rig.  I get the last mackerel head out in the same spot and go to have a seat.  As I was sitting, my fat ass started to creak the lid of the cooler when I realized it was my rod clicker going off!  Damn!  On again!

This time, I had everything go right and got her to the beach.  I kind of hurt my shoulder trying to pull her up as the waves were hitting the cliff near me and bouncing off.  I didn’t want to be a part of that mess, so took a quick measurement and picture before letting her go.
83” Female Sevengill.  Incoming.  Mackerel. 2’-3’ swell.

Between my back and my shoulder, it sucks getting old, but I ended up 1-3 on the sharks and caught 7 calico.  Not a bad night.
I got home to see my leader absolutely shredded!  Man, this thing will need to be changed out as I don’t think I can even use it as a spare rig anymore.

Well, thanks for reading and until next tide.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Looks like a good session to me 8)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
So, I packed the truck on Tuesday night hoping to get out on Wednesday for the great rising tide.  Steve texted and said he was out, but my bait was thawing and needed to get used.  I get a text that he was back in and we picked a spot in the middle to meet.  I was just packing up and got another text that he was a little premature for saying he was going and needed to be around the house for medical oversight.
I ran up to find decent conditions.  Tide was about mid way up and the beach had some random eel grass and kelp, but thankfully the water appeared to be semi-clean after 3 practice casts.  Every 15 minutes, the sets would come in pretty big, but it was a nice 2’-3’ for the most part.
First cast and I had my bait ganked.  Second cast and the bait was ganked.  Third cast and I was on, but the bait got ganked again… this happened a few more times before I realized I was casting into a swimming pool filled with calico!

Every cast for 14+ casts and I was bit.  I started cutting smaller chunks since I was burning through my baits at record pace.  I finally started holding the rod after the cast and started to catch them more frequently.

I moved down 20 yards in hoping to get away from them and pinned on a big ass chunk of mack.  It went about 25 yards shorter than my previous casts, but I left it out there.  I unbuckled my waders to take a piss and all of a sudden my reel starts screaming out!  Trying to stop pissing mid-stream, pulling up my pants and grabbing my waders so I don’t trip and bite it on the way to the reel was a little much.  Soon as I grabbed the rod, it dropped it.. UGH…. 0-1 on sharks already, but I pinned another bait on and kept going.

The bass and critters kept stealing baits and I was on my last mackerel out of the dozen I brought, but it was a big mackerel.  I was sitting on my cooler when I saw a bounce in the rod and then the line just went slack!  Shark on!
It was a sevengill as I could hear the tail slapping and got it into the white water.  I was heading down to grab it, but my line was going left and the shark was thrashing in the wash to the right.  WTF?!?  I tried reeling to see what the hell was going on, and realized I had a HUGE KELP and GRASS ball on my line! The shark was going right, but he couldn’t pull the ball to the left since it was so big.  I loosened my drag a little and ran down to tail the shark.  As I grabbed it, I slipped into the surf and it turned on me!  f@ck!  It almost got me and I was freaking lucky as hell it didn’t latch on.  I grabbed the tail, but force of the kelp ball yanked it out of my hands and then pulled the hook!  I got to watch it slowly swim back out to sea… and then had to battle the kelp ball to get my hook and rig back which is now all tangled up in the ball of hell!   UGH.  0-2 on sharks tonight.

I cut the line for a quick slide through the kelp and retie the same rig.  I get the last mackerel head out in the same spot and go to have a seat.  As I was sitting, my fat ass started to creak the lid of the cooler when I realized it was my rod clicker going off!  Damn!  On again!

This time, I had everything go right and got her to the beach.  I kind of hurt my shoulder trying to pull her up as the waves were hitting the cliff near me and bouncing off.  I didn’t want to be a part of that mess, so took a quick measurement and picture before letting her go.
83” Female Sevengill.  Incoming.  Mackerel. 2’-3’ swell.

Between my back and my shoulder, it sucks getting old, but I ended up 1-3 on the sharks and caught 7 calico.  Not a bad night.
I got home to see my leader absolutely shredded!  Man, this thing will need to be changed out as I don’t think I can even use it as a spare rig anymore.

Well, thanks for reading and until next tide.

Chu Da Man! Congrats, on another stellar session!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Trying to stop pissing mid-stream, pulling up my pants and grabbing my waders so I don’t trip and bite it on the way to the reel was a little much.

Damn dude, I'd paid money to watch that circus!!  Seriously, nice solo session.  V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Only pee when changing bait. The fish gods love the show.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Trying to stop pissing mid-stream, pulling up my pants and grabbing my waders so I don’t trip and bite it on the way to the reel was a little much.

Damn dude, I'd paid money to watch that circus!!  Seriously, nice solo session.  V

I seen it. Worth any price.

Sorry about the back and forth on showing up, but you know what’s up. Things are settling down a little again. For now.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Hahaha!! I've gotten a few bites while taking a leak, sucks pissing on your own hand. I think you need a back up sand hand. I'll let you borrow Josh from time to time ;)

I feel you about getting old. It ain't no fun. Hitting the gym has helped me tremendously! Working on losing a few pounds now. What I need is some sleep.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Nice lady sevengill!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
That's why I wear depends when I fish, never need to lose focus.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

drakesndrum

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Had a "Pee Bite" myself the other night, although instead of the targeted big drum, it ended up being a 40-50lb southern ray.  In other words, giant pain in the butt.

Tom, sometime between Oct 10-20th, you need to be on the east coast.  Just saying ...

Red Sox finally got above .500, things are looking up lol.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
That's why I wear depends when I fish, never need to lose focus.  ;D

Too much Binh
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Had a "Pee Bite" myself the other night, although instead of the targeted big drum, it ended up being a 40-50lb southern ray.  In other words, giant pain in the butt.

Tom, sometime between Oct 10-20th, you need to be on the east coast.  Just saying ...

Red Sox finally got above .500, things are looking up lol.

I'd love to get back out there, but my daughter is getting married and I just have a bunch of things to do.  Next year!

As for the Red Sox, we'll be ready for you at the end of the season!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.