Author Topic: Joel Style, Sort Of 5/10/19  (Read 3025 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Joel Style, Sort Of 5/10/19
« on: May 10, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
 Had stuff to do today so I took the day off. Wasn't until later so I hit the sand for a few.

I played around with a new to me style of bass fishing last time out on Tom's boat. It worked really well so I decided to give it a try after seeing the bass were on the chew.

Stopped at one local spot and it was 4 feet deep in weeds for the whole beach. Got back in the car and tried somewhere else.

Found a likely spot and started casting. Lots of weeds. Made a twenty yard move and it was clean. Funny how it is.

Third cast and my line gets heavy, great, kelp here too. Then as I get it close I watch a short halibut drop the lure and swim off.

At least I know it can work.

A few more casts and the grom squad walks out and starts surfing right where I'm fishing.

Make another move and I get hit on the drop. Wow! Success!

Got a couple more bites I'm sure were halibut, but they never got the hook and dropped off on the way in. No biggee, I was bass fishing anyway.

4 bites and one fish landed in 2 hours, but it was a nice morning to try out something different.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Style, Sort Of 5/10/19
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
That's was better than what I did today at work. Lucky!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:05:45 AM »
Nothing wrong with that session Steve, swimbaits are a huge part of my light rod arsenal.  The season is coming, just need the water to warm up a couple more degrees   8)   
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:55:13 AM »
I can't believe that rig has been doing so well for you!  I mean, I've used them and know they work, but the new "fishing style" you picked up has really been working out pretty damn good!

Nice!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
I can't believe that rig has been doing so well for you!  I mean, I've used them and know they work, but the new "fishing style" you picked up has really been working out pretty damn good!

Nice!

Having fun with it, but I think there are better ways to go in the surf. Mostly because of the 25% hookup ratio I’ve been having.

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »
Is it a slug bait on a texas leadhead? And you have to be at least past your belly button and up to your neck to truly be doin it "Joel Style" ;) ;D 8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
Is it a slug bait on a texas leadhead? And you have to be at least past your belly button and up to your neck to truly be doin it "Joel Style" ;) ;D 8)

Slug on an owner sled head.

I waded out to my knees, it's about the same depth as Joel's neck. I did take a wave over the waders and squished around for awhile.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:17:32 PM »
What type of retrieve are you doing with all those missed hits?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »

Starting out with quick reel reel pause in the deeper water then just a slow retrieve as I get close. Bass were hitting on the drop, butts on the slow retrieve.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »

Starting out with quick reel reel pause in the deeper water then just a slow retrieve as I get close. Bass were hitting on the drop, butts on the slow retrieve.
If you are doing a slow retrieve to where you are dragging bottom, when you get those taps they are trying to pick it up off the bottom. There approach is much different when dragging bottom vs swimming it. When you get the little taps pause and give it some slack by either holding your rod further out or taking a step or to towards it. This will allow them to suck it up. Your hook up ratio will increase 75% if you do it correctly. Continuing to reel on em while they are trying to pick it up, most the time they are gona drop it and swim away. Although the real agressive one will still get it. Hope that helps

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
Thx. I’ll give it a try. Most of the missed hits held on for awhile. One I saw a halibut drop my bait. I feel like they didn’t get the hook.