Author Topic: Two whites. Late report.  (Read 6466 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Two whites. Late report.
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »
Fished last weeknd and brought a friend out who has been wanting to go for quite some time. I’ve been reluctant due to past history of tactics and spots being shared but figured he’d endured enough time of asking.

He had a penn 50 stand up rig to yak and I had my 12/0 (smallest in my shark arsenal besides casting gear).

Got him rigged up with a double hand size chunk of ray and within 200 yards of shore in hopes of a 7gill. I had a whole yellowtail that I cut in half and rigged up on a float. A friend who kayak fishes said he had a mako checking him out less than half a mile off this beach so I sent it out as far as I was comfortable with high hopes.

Long story short. The Yt got hit but was shredded and by small teeth. I think it was actually a thresher. My buddy got two sharks on the same bait in the same area. Both small whites and we got them in and out as quickly as possible. The firs one I was almost sure was a black sea bass until it breached 20ft in front of me. Didn’t take long to get the hook out with the Arc Dehooker.

Estimated at 6.5 and close to 8ft. Didn’t measure either of them, obviously.

Kaipo joined us later that night and helped clear lines for the second fish.

I told my buddy not to tell people about how or where we got them but he was there two days later with some LA dudes and they got a BSB. So looks like it’s back to
Me and Kaipo now.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:46:30 PM by Chris »
Keep it tight

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Two whites. Late report.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
Heard an interesting story about the LA guys once. If it’s the same guys I saw a pic with a BSB lately.

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:09:42 AM »
Bummer about your spot getting burned :-X :-X :-X

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 07:30:35 AM »
I want an incidental!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 09:59:22 AM »
Nice Chris!

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 10:30:13 AM »
I want an incidental!!!!

I’m sure if I could cast just 50 yards further we would have got them on cast baits too. The long rods stayed quiet for the most part besides one hit that looked like a small ray squished the bait. They were thick close to shore. While retrieving my first Yt bait that got hit one of the whites chased it just outside the swell and hit it a couple times “on the troll” lol. Was cool to see the fin then white water exploding.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
I want an incidental!!!!

I’m sure if I could cast just 50 yards further we would have got them on cast baits too. The long rods stayed quiet for the most part besides one hit that looked like a small ray squished the bait. They were thick close to shore. While retrieving my first Yt bait that got hit one of the whites chased it just outside the swell and hit it a couple times “on the troll” lol. Was cool to see the fin then white water exploding.

That would've gotten me so pumped!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
 :o
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:04:23 PM »
Oh ya, these were SD fish too and within the usual AO of most guys on here.
Keep it tight

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
I just don't believe you can cast to these sharks. If that was the case, we would have seen more of these sharks caught.  ???
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
I just don't believe you can cast to these sharks. If that was the case, we would have seen more of these sharks caught.  ???

It's gonna happen soon! Almost all of the guys on here aren't expecting one, so they're rigged up for the smaller soupfin and 7gills. If you aren't prepared for the big boy, you aren't going to land it. I believe a few of us, including myself, may have hooked into one incidentally and we weren't prepared for it.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
Could also be a presentation thing. Chris mentions baits on floats. Haven't seen anyone down here do that.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
Could also be a presentation thing. Chris mentions baits on floats. Haven't seen anyone down here do that.

Not from shore, but the pier guys do it for threshers.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »

It's gonna happen soon! Almost all of the guys on here aren't expecting one, so they're rigged up for the smaller soupfin and 7gills. If you aren't prepared for the big boy, you aren't going to land it. I believe a few of us, including myself, may have hooked into one incidentally and we weren't prepared for it.
Why dont you guys just bump up your wire?

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »

Why dont you guys just bump up your wire?

I'vw been fishing 250lb wire since I was spooled twice in the same night in 2017 during a king tide (7'). Convinced I hooked one or 2.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)