Author Topic: Strangers in the night exchanging glances (15JUN2019)  (Read 2654 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Strangers in the night exchanging glances (15JUN2019)
« on: June 17, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
Solo sesh hoping for the best. Got to a beach littered with clumps upon clumps of seaweed, not a welcomed sight. I made the drive, so I'll make the effort. Just as I tie on my first rig, I spy with my little eye another longrodder. Jerry and I share pleasantries and he makes his way down the beach.

First cast in on a big mack head and in seconds, I already have strands of surf grass on my line from the waves crashing over it. Ugh. As every bigger wave comes rushing up the sand, it drags in the clumps. It's gonna be unfishable real quick. I get about a 5min soak and then I get the hard hit and slack line action. I pop out of my sweet lawn chair I found during the winter and furiously reel in the slack and come tight. Since I got to the beach at sundown, I was treated to multiple jumps and tail walks. So awesome! This is one of the harder fighting grinners I've had in quite a while and it had me thinking a baby white with the amount of line this guy pulled off of my line. I managed to draw the attention of some kids and they stuck around for the whole fight and beaching. They were as stoked as I was to see grinner on the beach. They take good pics too! Binh and Dre... you listening?

After a little coaxing, it swam off strong. You'll there's some blood in the pic, apparently sometime during the fight, the hook pulled and the hook caught the under side a few inches away from the gills. Hence the hard fighting and blood. It didn't get the gills. 72"

I toughed it out another 1.5hrs and called it after the many clumps of seaweed I reeled in. We even got checked for our licenses. Jerry beat the skunk with a solid fish of his own that he can tell you about. Sorry Jerry, you were taking too long to post, so I wrote up my own report. Slow climb this year...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:53:02 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Strangers in the night exchanging glances (15JUN2019)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
Saw lots of crap on the beaches over the weekend. Hoping it is gone for tomorrow.

Glad to see I won't be wasting my time.

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Yup, I’m a slow poke ;D I was gonna start a write up when I saw this 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »
Outstanding, stoked for you.  Gonna have to give it another go this week   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 04:50:57 PM »
nice you got one before it became unfishable.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
Well damn!  Nice Soupie Mike!!!!!!

Another click on the old shark list!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

itsyaboysears

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
Nice one Mike! Looks like a short sesh paid off.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:45:49 PM »
 8)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
 I was treated to multiple jumps and tail walks. So awesome! This is one of the harder fighting grinners I've had in quite a while and it had me thinking a baby white with the amount of line this guy pulled off of my line. I managed to draw the attention of some kids and they stuck around for the whole fight and beaching. They were as stoked as I was to see grinner on the beach. They take good pics too! Binh and Dre... you listening?

A baby White! ;D hahaha Hope springs eternal! Hey, I'm learning how to take better pics, one step at a time. Congrats, on a great session, and landing a nice Soupfin.