Author Topic: Grocery Shopping (6/30)  (Read 1778 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Grocery Shopping (6/30)
« on: July 01, 2019, 06:26:27 AM »
With my wife finally home from Switzerland after 9 days, I had to take the boat out!  I needed some fresh fish for the fridge and gave Squatch a shout.

Plan A - Head to the drop off or the 9-mile and troll around

Plan B - come in and do some deeper water rockfishing

Plan C - Troll along the kelp/fish the kelp for the usual suspects

Plan D - Fish the rock-piles for bass and halibut

We got out to the drop off when we realized the 7 second swells were a little much and the water wasn't getting any cleaner.  The water was getting warmer, but it was green and nasty out there, so we decided to troll rapalas along the ridge looking for Threshers.

Birds, Dolphin, Sea-Lions were everywhere!  Problem was the bait was so small, we couldn't see any of the bait!  Terns were diving, but the finbait they were catching were even smaller than wiggles with eyes!

As we trolled, Steve's rod had a snapping pop!  It never stuck, but unless he ran into a dolphin, it was the whack of a Thresher's tail.  Damn!  It didn't happen again, so we went to plan B.

We worked our way from 300' to 180' in 3 stops and loaded up with our limits of rockfish.

We picked up a few nice reds in the process along with about 10 other species of rockfish.

Steve got the elusive c*ck-fish also.... 

We headed back and switched to plan D since it was getting later and the gooligans were streaming out into the ocean in force.  Squatch picked up a calico bass (or so he says since I did not see it) on his crazy YouTube rig. lol

We called it the day and headed to the ramp.  Not a bad day at all even though it took some hours scrubbing the boat and filleting fish when I got home, but it was nice to be back in the swing of things again!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery Shopping (6/30)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 06:52:20 AM »
Fun day. Hard work, but fun.

Didn’t want to risk interrupting you just to show you a 2lb bass.

Sure wish that thresher would have stuck.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »
I yelled, I guess you didn't hear me ;) Nice haul of tasty reds!! Rock-fishing is underrated fun. With the grinner season winding down, it looks we'll be seeing more boat posts and me hitting the piers for mackerel and bonito... Lol!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »
Glad you two got out, bummer about the missed hit
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect