Author Topic: Coronado Run  (Read 1659 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Coronado Run
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
Plans were to get limits of yellows by 10:00 before running offshore and start looking for tuna.

Mother Nature found our plan out and decided to ruin it.

Bait Receiver kid said the wind was howling all night and it was only 2:00am when we got there!  We got some great looking sardine and a few anchovie in the mix before heading south.... into the wind!

We were greeted by the Mexican Navy... well more of a 300 yard long Battleship and 72 other boats all stacked up around the tuna pens! 
The water was dirty/green, but a warm 69F.  Wind from the south was a consistent 15-25 mph.

First cast and a big yellow stormed my bait!  Fought him for 5 minutes before the hook pulled... first cast curse in my eyes at least.

Boats were everywhere, but we decided to find our own fish... which we did!

We got them fly-lining and on sinker rigs.  We also trolled around and caught (almost) limits on big bonito.

The wind never let up and before you knew it, we were fishing in the middle of the long range fleet! (or should I say the long range fleet all came over and started fishing with us!)

The yellows were a good quality.  Nothing great, but in the 12-15 pound class.

The cuda were out of hand!  Mostly legal fish, but thick as snot!
We moved to the windward side of the islands to find water clean as clean can be with temps 5-6 degrees colder than the Leeward side!

Some guy on the radio was bitching that he couldn't even catch rockfish, so we made a few drop to see what was going on.  Got the rest of our limits and started heading home.  We saw an 8' mako, but decided we didn't want to deal with it.
2:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on a mean ocean made me a tired boy!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to post up your trips!!!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Coronado Run
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »
Looks sporty.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Coronado Run
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 12:56:23 PM »
2:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on a mean ocean made me a tired boy!

According to my math Tom, that's 20 hours on the water.  Chu a man amongst men!!!!!

Nice fish.......................
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect