Author Topic: Tuesday with a Twist (7/30)  (Read 1667 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tuesday with a Twist (7/30)
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
Jeez, the beaches are more crowded than I can remember in the last few decades.  I met up with Squatch to fish and brought both the light and heavy gear just in case.
We met up for a quick bite to eat and a few beers before heading down to a packed beach.  We decided to only bring the light gear as getting home at a decent hour seemed like the way to go and there was just enough grass in the water to make for an annoying soak session.

It started slow with a whole lot of nothing except a nibble here and there.  I finally get bumped in my ankles by a few corbina which scared the crap out of me and decided to just fish here.  Squatch was about 100 yards down the beach from me and we both got into a hot surf bite.

I caught a small YFC before getting one of the smallest beans I've ever caught in my life.

Then things heated up and I went on a nicer grade corbina blitz.  Take it, nicer size is relative... these were only 15-17 inch fish.  Most of the corbina were only around a foot.

I still can't believe the numbers or corbina out there this year!

I was getting bit on every or every other cast, but due to the strong downward current, couldnt get the hook set enough of the time due to the big bow in my line.  I should just have tied on a bigger weight, but stuck with 2 small split shots.

The perch were nice sized, but not as plentiful.

I had a few screamers and line rippers which were probably better model corbina, but they got the best of me due to waves and weeds.  Steve had quite a good session also as his biggest bean was 19" and had similar numbers.

Ended the evening with 10 corbina, 4 YFC and 3 perch.  It's been a while since I've pitched sand crabs in the surf with the light gear.  Kind of refreshing, but ready for the big stuff again!

Water was warm, but the air was a bit brisk by the time the sun was setting.
Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday with a Twist (7/30)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
Sounds like a great session on the light rod, much better than we've been doing.  Haven't dusted off the long rods in a couple months, thinking we'll wait until Oct or so.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday with a Twist (7/30)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
Sounds like a great session on the light rod, much better than we've been doing.  Haven't dusted off the long rods in a couple months, thinking we'll wait until Oct or so.

Just keep taking your dad.