Author Topic: 1/19/17 Daily walk through Woodland Park (updated 4/7/17)  (Read 7415 times)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
1/19/17 Daily walk through Woodland Park (updated 4/7/17)
« on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
There’s a trail right by my new house that leads down to Middle Creek.  I try to walk the dog down it every day for some excercise. 

My wife and I took the trail a couple days ago - on the way back we discovered about 100 feathers in the middle of the trail.  Something had been eaten (demolished?) by something.

So I set out today to see if there were any dead things or animals or something.

It was uneventful, but the dog got a good walk and the wide open spaces never cease to amaze me.

The start of the trail near my house:

The dog usually leads the way, especially coming back:

This will be an alfalfa field when the snow melts.  I get the same feeling here as I do in the desert or way out the open ocean.  The expanse of open space seems to warp time and distance:

Alfalfa sprinklers - I believe these move on their own when the water pressure gets high enough:

Getting closer to the end of the trail:

Neighboring farmer’s gate:

Tree:

Uninhabited animal quarters:

End of the trail at Middle Creek.  The creek was completely frozen over, as was the nearby irrigation canal, so no worthy pics of either:

Looking back towards home into the snowscape:

Bridger mountains in fog - looking back towards civilization:

Wish I had the camera the other day.  It was bright and sunny and I could have got some snapshots of whatever died, or at least some feathers.

Dog tired and asleep.  Time to get something done (or perhaps take a nap myself)!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:21:39 PM by mdcesq »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: 1/19/17 Daily walk through Woodland Park
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
I'm envious! Such beautiful country up there!  :)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
What do you call that white grass? Looks like it grows everywhere.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »
I'm envious! Such beautiful country up there!  :)

It is, indeed, Chad.  I wish it weren’t gloomy today, but I guess its because we have more snow coming tonight.  The last week or so has been bright, blue skies, leading to some amazing sunsets from the front porch (also posted on another site):

What do you call that white grass? Looks like it grows everywhere.

Ha, ha, yeah it looks that way Steve.  Its been pretty mild so far though.  I’ve got dry sidewalks and driveway, but that’s going to change soon.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 1/19/17 Daily walk through Woodland Park (updated 4/7/17)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »

Finally got some snapshots of wildlife on my daily dog walk.

Snow has been gone for a while but we’ve still had hail, rain, high winds, and bright sunshine, all changing within a matter of hours sometimes.

Hubbell leads the way back down to Middle Creek (note the rainbow trout leash):

Just the tips of the Bridgers have snow:

I found out the fields will be barley, not alfalfa as I previously reported.  Lots of good things to create with barley.

Nobody in sight on the way to Middle Creek:

Got to the end, and heard the chirping.  The last few trips down here I thought it was a bird or something large in the trees, like an eagle.  I finally caught the critter on camera (right center) - a muskrat, marmot, or something else?

I wish the zoom quality was better, but here he is again:

Didn’t get too close as he seemed fairly irritated by our presence.  Glad I finally got something on camera.  I’ve heard the wolves will run right through this area, but I’m sort of glad I haven’t come across that!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Ha, ha, yeah, maybe it's a woodchuck.

My wife and I went back there the other day and we saw the husband and wife muskrats/marmots/woodchucks run off into the woods.  I've been down a couple times after that, and I don't hear their alarm or see them anymore.  Perhaps they've seen too much humankind and have moved to another location.  I hope we didn't scare them off for good. 

We got another dumping snow last night (yes, at the end of April), so I won't be doing the trial today until things dry up a bit. 

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
Hello Mike?  You still out there in the Montana Matrix?

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:06:00 AM »

Hey Tom, yeah, I'm still going strong in MT. I was going to post a report for you guys from one of my best days on the Gallatin, but I never got around to it. I didn't take many pictures anyway.

I haven't followed the site in a while. How are things in SoCal?

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »

Hey Tom, yeah, I'm still going strong in MT. I was going to post a report for you guys from one of my best days on the Gallatin, but I never got around to it. I didn't take many pictures anyway.

Mike!
Good to hear from you!  I was on your sight the other day, love reading your stuff!
I'm going to be in Bozeman in September for vacation.  Staying in a place right on the East Gallatin.  I'm going to email you a few questions if you don't mind :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »

Things are good Mike.  I get lost in all of the stuff I have to do, but I'm finally getting back on track.  Any fishing?  Fossil Hunting?  Hiking?

I hope all is well!

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

Things are good Mike.  I get lost in all of the stuff I have to do, but I'm finally getting back on track.  Any fishing?  Fossil Hunting?  Hiking?

I hope all is well!

Tom, sorry about the delay. Lots of fishing last summer, probably my best freshwater season ever. Not so much this year, but we've been touring all over in the RV. Gotta fishing story for you guys I'll post soon.

Also, I still have to post some Montana pics, but I know I keep saying that!