Author Topic: Poached By Buckets (9/7)  (Read 1491 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Poached By Buckets (9/7)
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »
Squatch and I drove up to where we were getting all the bass armed with lighter long rods where we could get both bass and shark if needed.  Bummer thing was a couple of guys ran an antenna
array across the beach armed with big white buckets for all of the small bass I guess.  We decided to drive to another beach and give it a whirl.

Beach number two was loaded with salad.  I could barely soak for 30 seconds before getting weeded up.  Steve made a short move and found a slightly cleaner section of beach.  He proceeded to catch some stuff.

I had a belly in my line and my connector knot was in the middle, so I gave it a little light flip to get the belly out.  I had a sharp pain in my thumb and knew that even that wimpy lob cast had the knot sting my thumb.  I grabbed my sinker and though, "Why is my sinker rusty looking?".  I looked at my hand and realized I split my thumb open with the connector knot!  No band-aid around, so I thought my night was done... until I noticed a band-aid on my leg from earlier in the day.  Swapped spots and it worked out great!

I moved down and found cleaner water.  I was using my big shark rod instead of the bass rod hoping for glory, so it was tough getting a bass to take the size 12/0 hook, but I finally nabbed one of the bait thieves.

I then thought I had a whopper of a bass!  It was pulling hard and trying to pull line, so I thought I had a real grump....  Turned out to only be a surf tractor that I nailed in the wing.

So, the bait stealing was still in full effect and I burned through some old baits.  It got to a point where my thumb no longer was working right and we called it quits.

Hopefully soon we'll start seeing the grinners!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Poached By Buckets (9/7)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Surf wasn't too bad? I heard it was and slightly pumping. I'm trying to find the motivation to drag myself onto the sand
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Poached By Buckets (9/7)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:39:44 AM »
Surf wasn't too bad? I heard it was and slightly pumping. I'm trying to find the motivation to drag myself onto the sand

It was worse for me than Tom. I was using 20# and a 3oz pyramid hoping to make the bass a little bit fun. As soon as a little bit of weed gathered on my line it was down current pretty quick. Tom offered a loaner 4oz sputnik, but I was afraid to snap it off on the cast.