Author Topic: Back on the Horse 9/17/19  (Read 3574 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Back on the Horse 9/17/19
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »
 Not sure how to do this anymore, but I'm going to see if I can fake it.

My younger son's birthday fell on Tuesday but he knows the drill. Even texted me written permission to fish and wished me good luck.

Tom and I were biding our time with a few drinks and a couple tacos as usual, and hit the beach just after sunset when the parking starts to open up.

Things looked pretty good salad wise, but it was a trick. We drug a bunch of crap up on the beach for a couple hours until things cleared up. Surf was manageable, but I could hardly sit down after a cast before I was loaded with weeds.

I took a break and watched Tom reel up crap for a while. It put him in a great mood for the guy to set up ten feet from him and cast over his line. Even from behind and in the dark I could see his face. A face I recognize as unhappy.

Finally, after a short break I decided to try the waters again. Actually got a decent soak time. I watched from my chair as my rod started to bend, but this time it just kept going and line started peeling off. Hell yeah, fish on.

Felt weird. Pulling hard and swimming back and forth, but without the usual signs that would tell me what I had on the line. I decided it might be a smallish BSB.

Turned out to be a nice 74" soupie with 20 feet of kelp on its face. 

Threw a few more baits each for nothing. Tom said he lost a nice lobster in the surfline. I didn't see it, but it wouldn't be the first one to do that. Too bad you can't get them where we were or I'd be hooping it next month.

It was nice to get back in the game. Hope its the beginning of a good fall season.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Back on the Horse 9/17/19
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
Congrats Squatch!  Way to get it started!

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:35:21 AM »
Not sure how to do this anymore, but I'm going to see if I can fake it.

My younger son's birthday fell on Tuesday but he knows the drill. Even texted me written permission to fish and wished me good luck.

Tom and I were biding our time with a few drinks and a couple tacos as usual, and hit the beach just after sunset when the parking starts to open up.

Things looked pretty good salad wise, but it was a trick. We drug a bunch of crap up on the beach for a couple hours until things cleared up. Surf was manageable, but I could hardly sit down after a cast before I was loaded with weeds.

I took a break and watched Tom reel up crap for a while. It put him in a great mood for the guy to set up ten feet from him and cast over his line. Even from behind and in the dark I could see his face. A face I recognize as unhappy.

Finally, after a short break I decided to try the waters again. Actually got a decent soak time. I watched from my chair as my rod started to bend, but this time it just kept going and line started peeling off. Hell yeah, fish on.

Felt weird. Pulling hard and swimming back and forth, but without the usual signs that would tell me what I had on the line. I decided it might be a smallish BSB.

Turned out to be a nice 74" soupie with 20 feet of kelp on its face. 

Threw a few more baits each for nothing. Tom said he lost a nice lobster in the surfline. I didn't see it, but it wouldn't be the first one to do that. Too bad you can't get them where we were or I'd be hooping it next month.

It was nice to get back in the game. Hope its the beginning of a good fall season.

Congrats!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
Nice!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:19:04 PM »
Get down Steve, totally stoked for you.  Got a question............you have any idea what the water temp down there is?  74" is a healthy soupie
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
Get down Steve, totally stoked for you.  Got a question............you have any idea what the water temp down there is?  74" is a healthy soupie

70-72
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »

Thanks Verne. Water is still warm. At least 70, maybe warmer.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »
Well, there you go.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »
It was fun wrangling a shark up in the surf.  A much welcome surprise!

Congrats Squatch!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
Nice to see someone getting the grinners again from the surf!
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »
Nice work! It's good to see a shark on the sand.