Author Topic: Tough Full Day Fishing (12SEP2019)  (Read 1576 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Tough Full Day Fishing (12SEP2019)
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
Finally got ok to go before the yellowfin tuna disappeared. Headed out on a sold-out Grande with my buddy Mike. Capt Alec was at the helm. The grounds were crowded and bumpy. Weather would only lie down a bit in the afternoon. Baits iffy. Hard to get cured bait with so many boats heading out. Schools of Spanish macks were all over at the bait barge. They were fun to catch on my spinning rod. All you can grinner bait, was tough to let them go  ;)

Long ride out just south of the islands. It was nuts to butts fishing. With a lot of peeps not doing the tuna shuffle, tangles were far too common. The tuna were picky AF!! 20lb flouro or no go. Size 2 hooks. The smallest and liveliest baits got bit. So glad I brought my Penn Spinfisher 4500 mounted on a Shimano Terramar rated for 15-30 or I would've been screwed. I fished 30lb braid backing, 25lb mono, a short leader of 20lb flouro, and a tiny a$$ hook. I beat the skunk using this outfit. My buddy brought heavier gear and didn't get a single bite until I lent him the spinner. On the last stop, he was able to beat the skunk while I was chomping on a burger. I hate this kind of fishing.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Full Day Fishing (12SEP2019)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:56:35 AM »
Glad you managed one Mike, and kudos for loaning him the light gear........
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Full Day Fishing (12SEP2019)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:13:32 AM »
That's more tuna than I've caught all year.  4 trips for them and only makos and yellowtail to show for it.

Glad to see you out Mike!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.