Author Topic: Couldn't find the OB bonito (2019-10-06)  (Read 2432 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Couldn't find the OB bonito (2019-10-06)
« on: October 08, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
On Sunday my buddy Emerson and I kayaked from Mission Point Park out past the OB Pier looking for bonito, but we didn't have any luck.  We ran into Kam Walsh on the way out, but I didn't realize it was him until Emerson mentioned it later.  Hey Kam, want to chime in with how you did?

I installed my fish finder the night before and was happy that it worked without issues.  The Trident has a recess on the bottom to protect the transducer and a removable (and replaceable) plate on top that you can drill holes into to do the mount.  The old 5Ah battery I had wasn't holding a charge, so I replaced it with a new 8Ah one.

We trolled lures mostly and stopped to jig irons if I saw deeper fish on the screen. All we caught though were a few mackerel.  We paddled closer to shore south of the pier and watched a small pod of dolphins playing.

On the way back I stopped to reel in my lines and check my lures for weeds.  About 10 ft from the boat I had a calico come up and grab my Xrap 15. That was our one non-bait fish of the day.

Here's the screenshot from my Garmin app.

miles: 6.40
hours: 3:38
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:17:52 PM by BenCantrell »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Couldn't find the OB bonito (2019-10-06)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:37:09 AM »
Here's the screenshot from my Garmin app.

miles: 6.40
hours: 3:38

That's a lot of kicking there Ben, looks fun.............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 05:45:11 AM »
Lots of water covered again!

The bonito off PL are generally around the green tanks.  Not sure why, but that is the spot general area where they are usually show up first.  Have you heard of bonito moving in?  I heard very spotty reports and the last few times out there have tried for them with no success.

Nice FF also! 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
It's been a little while since I checked the site haha. Bonito have been hard to come by for me this fall. I only hooked one small one that day (one of the ones where you can't tell if its a little bonie or big mack until you see the tail) that came off at the boat and the previous try hooked a slightly bigger one and landed it. The last two tries have come up empty. Hopefully we get at least one good blitz in before fall's over!