Author Topic: Grocery Shopping (10/5)  (Read 1970 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Grocery Shopping (10/5)
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:18:09 AM »
I had a fish fry to cook on Sunday and no fish in the freezer!  I must remedy this!

I ran out and decided to concentrate on the fishing Plan A.  This year I had Plan A, B, C, D...etc and felt like I pulled myself too thin when fishing wasn't working out how I hope and would just jump plans too fast.  Now, all I needed to do was catch some tasty fish.

I opted against offshore and wanted to fish away from the crowds, so i investigated some of my old waypoints to see what was going on.  It was a great morning and I even had a late start so all of the Tourney Googans could get their boats launched and hopefully have an empty ramp by the time I got down there.

I tried a few spots with only a few bass and a treefish. 

I decided to methodically look from deep to shallow spots and see what depth they were hiding.  I hit some great deep water spots with no lobster buoys anywhere.  No meter marks and no bites.  Not even a sand dab bite.

I had some waypoints on my graph that was about 3 miles away, so decided to try that out.  I would pick up a fish here and there, but jump from small rock pile to another small rockpile.

Blue Rockfish

Reds

Starry with gas pustules in it's skin

I finally hit a small rock pile and set up Spot Lock on it.  Spot Lock is such a game changer!  It was wide open after that!

Whitefish

Barber Poles

Then the giants rolled through!  I caught 4 really quality specimens on the next 4 drops!

Big Red with a healed over wound on its back.

Giant Fatty on next drop!

Absolutelt big Treefish!

Ended with a legit Red.

All of the fish I had were quality, so there was nothing to cull.  A few gulls ate some floaters, but I was at my limit and didn't want to do anymore damage on this small mound.  I decided to run in and do some bass fishing.

Bass fishing was excellent!  I caught 15 more assorted Calico and Sand Bass, mostly in the 14" range.  My big one of the session was a 22" sandy that hit like a halibut!

The wind finally started to pick up and I headed back into the barn with a sack full of tasty groceries.  Mission complete!

The battery was dead on my scale, but the 3 big reds were 18", 21" and 22".  Friggand huge! 

Well, that was it.  I had a killer fish fry on Sunday and even had enough to vacuum seal for future fish frys.

Thanks for reading and I hope you had a great weekend!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:20:27 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Grocery Shopping (10/5)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:02:57 AM »
Nice! That's a productive session!  I paddled around Ocean Beach looking for bonito, but in hindsight I wish I had hit up La Jolla again.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
My Saturday was very different from yours. I had fun, but would have had more fun fishing.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »
My Saturday was very different from yours. I had fun, but would have had more fun fishing.

Same here!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
I see you got your Trick or Treating done a little early.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 05:46:38 AM »
I had a fish fry to cook on Sunday and no fish in the freezer!  I must remedy this!

Looks like a fun way to remedy a empty freezer Tom...............  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect