Author Topic: A Tale of Incompatible Ends (10/15)  (Read 3048 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
A Tale of Incompatible Ends (10/15)
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
Typical Tuesday is in full swing.  Hit the bar for some beer and eats before heading down to the spot as usual and tried an area that we haven't tried in a few years.  I see Squatch hanging his head low and walking over to my truck without any gear.  He tells me he blew it.  As he was running to work early in the AM, he brought his lower half of his shark rod/reel and grabbed the upper half of another two-piece rod that didn't match up to the bottom half.  Actually totally incompatible!  LOL

So he went down anyway since we were there.  No salad in the water.  Pretty low tide and shallow water, but worth an effort.

Instantly started getting bass bites, but no hook ups.  Saw a different bump in the rod and decided to be the sand spike.  Just as I got the rod in my hands, it started loading up real fast!  Set the hook and I'm on!  Definitely shark of some sort!

8 cranks in and it unbuttons...  I'm using a new hook and have lost the last 3 sharks I've hooked on them, so it's time for a change. 

A few casts later and I get one of the bait thieves.  A big 3 to 3.5# lobster!  A BIG male!  It would have made for a tasty dinner, but I'm no poacher and my licence is too important to me so off it crawled back into the sea.

Bass were an absolute nuisance.

Then the giant alien slugs started to chew.

I burned through a bag of bait and decided that I didn't want to have to open a second bag, so we called it early while the tide was still filling.
These missed opportunities have been bugging me even though I'm not sure what kind of shark I've been losing, but it's time to tweak some of my tackle to prevent more lost grinners.

Thanks for reading and lets get some updates on the surf out there from you guys!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Incompatible Ends (10/15)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »
I thought I saw your trucks! Pretty decent outing. The bug would've a hard temptation to ignore. Sucks about the snafu Steve, I've done it 2x. I've even shown up without bait, no headlamp, no back pack containing my rigs, and no license. I think I've run the gambit.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
I thought I saw your trucks! Pretty decent outing. The bug would've a hard temptation to ignore. Sucks about the snafu Steve, I've done it 2x. I've even shown up without bait, no headlamp, no back pack containing my rigs, and no license. I think I've run the gambit.

No bait, headlamp, no rigs, no problem, bum some off Tom and buy him a beer for the favor. I've risked no license a couple times. Hate feeling nervous the whole night though. No rod? Problem. Thought Tom was going to have a killer night.

Spent most of the night thinking how nice that lobster would have tasted.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
Almost all of those things happened to me solo. Just my dumb luck. Agreed about the lobster, it looked tasty on my screen.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 03:16:19 AM »
Big bug. I've never considered the two piece rod snafu before. The thing I hate forgetting are the sand stakes. Yes I can stand there and do it myself, but coming into a trip thinking I can lounge around and then seeing I forgot those, sucks. Probably a bit worse yet to forget the rod tip.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 04:19:58 AM »
No rod? Problem.

Been there Steve..................120 mile round trip with my butt section and Tony's top.   :'(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:46:16 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Donfish

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »
what kind of hooks are you using now?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 05:59:52 AM »
what kind of hooks are you using now?

Unbranded 10/0 3x Octopus.

I need to pick up some more Gamakatsu Big River hooks.  The regular Gamakatsu Octopus hooks have too short a throat and I've unbuttoned too many on them.  The big river hooks are my favorite, but expensive as hell.

https://www.gamakatsu.com/product/big-river-bait/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:02:02 AM by Latimeria »

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
What happened with those big Kahles I gave you? They not work?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
What happened with those big Kahles I gave you? They not work?
I have yet to try them. I tried a few up and might try them soon.

drakesndrum

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 05:02:19 AM »
Tom I have 3 packs of 10/0 Big River hooks here I'll send you, they're too big for what I need them for.  Shoot me your address and I'll get them packed up and mailed asap.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »
Tom I have 3 packs of 10/0 Big River hooks here I'll send you, they're too big for what I need them for.  Shoot me your address and I'll get them packed up and mailed asap.
I just got the text from Andrew. Thanks boss. I'll message you the address.   8)