Author Topic: Something new to me  (Read 2201 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Something new to me
« on: October 23, 2019, 06:00:48 AM »
Encouraged by a text I got from a member of this site I decided to take my dad to the pier yesterday and try for bait.  Never used a Sibiki before, but tipped with small pieces of squid it seemed to work.  We only caught 9, but my dad had a blast.  Walking back to the car he asked me if we can do it again, I think it's a lot easier for him than walking and casting on the beach.  Twice I saw what I swore was a Thresher Shark swirling not 50 yards out, at first I thought no way............BUT a few minutes later some guys next to me sliding out mackerel on floats hooked up.  By golly they caught a Thresher.  Gonna try again early morning for macs later this week, hoping we will do better in the dark.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:25:55 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Something new to me
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 06:05:48 AM »
Fresh bait!  Nice that pops wants to help out with catching some surf shark baits!

That's pretty awesome about the thresher.  I'm still waiting to catch mine casted from the sand.  One of these days....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »
Nice going Verne!! I've been trying to convince Dre that fresh is always best. Store bought is one of those in case of emergency, break glass type deals. Plus, catching mackerel is pretty fun! At least for me. Stoked to hear your dad had a blast!! That actually made my day   ;D
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Plus, catching mackerel is pretty fun!  Stoked to hear your dad had a blast!! That actually made my day   ;D

Actually I'm in the process of putting together a "Pier" bag, we're going to take a bait run tomorrow morning.  We really enjoyed it  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:14:59 PM by vdisney »

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »
Next time try cutting up the first mackerel you catch, they’re little savages. Crazy about the thresher!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 01:41:43 PM »
Next time try cutting up the first mackerel you catch, they’re little savages. Crazy about the thresher!

By cracky Jeremy, you're a genius.  Caught our first one on squid, cut it up and used it for bait

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:40:45 AM by vdisney »

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:00 AM »
I learned that trick on Balboa Pier more than a decade ago, I suppose they since haven't learned diplomacy amongst each other.