Author Topic: Malibu Exploring 11/6, Bird Sitting  (Read 2471 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Malibu Exploring 11/6, Bird Sitting
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:09:13 PM »
Made a solo trip last night from about 6pm-midnight.

Tried the usual first spot, lake like conditions and no salad, but felt pretty dead. Packed it up after about 2 hours and headed south.

Spot #2 I've wanted to try for years but whenever I drive by it looks weedier than Willie's bus. This night there were almost no weeds. Small boulders in the sand kept me on my toes but it felt fishy.

Sure enough, 9pm rolls by and I get a good first hit. 47" leo on the tail half of a mackerel.

A few casts later I got another about 3', tail hooked so I didn't bother with a pic, quick release.

Rest of the night I had maybe one set off the clicker with a very short tug to find my bait mauled. Others were silent but equally thieving.

Pardon my fascination with destroyed baits.

I sent a whole mack hoping for less thievery, but it came back shredded and gutted.

I did see some lobster molts on the ground, so maybe they were having a day out there.

Also saw this seabird limping and cawing, so I walked down to inspect it. Not limping away from me so I picked it up with my hoodie and checked its feet to make sure it wasn't tangled in trash or anything. Then I bird sat for about 10 minutes before it hobbled off and into the rocks.

A western grebe, for all you nerds.

2 decent leos in 6 hours is still a slow night, but it's the best I've done in a bit. Solo nights on the beach are my happy place regardless of fish, but I'm hoping it breaks open with the exotics real soon.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Malibu Exploring 11/6, Bird Sitting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »
Nice Leopard!
It's always fun scouting new beaches, looks like you might be on to something with that one.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »
Awesome Jeremy, I've said it before..........leos are my favorite target on the long rod
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
Nice leopards boss!

I usually nerd out about wildlife, and for a second I thought it was a western Loon since they usually migrate up and down the coast every spring and fall.  When i looked them both up, damn, way more similar than I thought they were.

Cool to let him have a rest in your chair.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »
http://prehistoricsoul.com/

Well, it's been pretty quiet until the damn big surf sharks show up so you have the P-Soul Cover until the next nice fish is beached.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
It’s an honor, thank you!