Author Topic: How to Catch Trophy Perch, Vol. 1  (Read 3070 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
How to Catch Trophy Perch, Vol. 1
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:59:51 AM »
Today we are going over revolutionary techniques to achieving greatness in the surf perch fisherman's community.

Everything starts with the rig! I like an Avet MXJ filled with 60# braid with 25 feet of 80# Ande mono topshot. We apply the reel to something with length and backbone, such as a Penn Carnage ii 12' XH rod, capable of casting up to 12oz and handling 30-80# braid.

On the end of the line, we have a 10/0 octopus hook with a 3' section of 135# nylon coated 7 strand wire attached. We don't want that once-in-a-lifetime toad perch to chew through, now do we?

We use a 3 way swivel on the opposite end of the wire, then attach a 7oz sputnik sinker to a length of 80# mono similar to that of the wire on the other side of the swivel.

Now it's time to head to your favorite spot! Preferably somewhere in Ventura County, because you can't catch big perch elsewhere. Sorry San Diegans! Stay classy!

Do you have some fresh mackerel handy? Good! Cut the bugger in half. Big baits = big perch!

Cast your line past the breakers. Now, watch and wait patiently. The strike is sudden and the quick reaction is your gateway to success!

There it is, set the hook!

Keep the line tight. Reel, reel!

Use the waves to beach him!

You got 'em!

Congratulations! Remember to release your trophy to support the positive characteristics of this fish in the gene pool!

Unfortunately, you may run into grubby, time wasting rays and sharks whilst on the hunt for those Trophy Perch.

End result for the night:

1 BSP
1 Thornback
2 Sevengills (52", 55")

Based on a true story,
Jeremy

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: How to Catch Trophy Perch, Vol. 1
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:38:54 AM »
Nice perch. Thanks for the tips.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:39:53 AM »
Get on Jeremy, nice frick'n perch......................oh yeah, nice sharks also   ;D

Curious..........is that a Spro Swivel?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:38:16 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 05:45:53 AM »
Congrats Jeremy!  There were a couple of sharks caught last night, so I'll be adding them to the shark list this week!

Pig of a perch also!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
In my revelry I failed to mention that I got 3 other good bites that dropped it, one cutting a 10” strip of bat ray into a 1” chunk on my hook, another bite totally mangling another chunk. Both of mine landed were caught with mackerel. Both males.

Get on Jeremy, nice frick'n perch......................oh yeah, nice sharks also   ;D

Curious..........is that a Spro Swivel?

Thank you thank you. I don’t think the swivel is name brand, but i bought them like 5 years ago so I don’t remember if they were amazon or ebay or maybe even a real tackle shop. I do remember I got my octopus hooks about the same time off amazon and they were an Australian company and very affordable and they’ve never disappointed. Just ordered some more swivels, this time the kind that are 2 two-ways with one built over the other.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:23:37 AM by jrodda »

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:33:14 AM »
Today we are going over revolutionary techniques to achieving greatness in the surf perch fisherman's community.

Everything starts with the rig! I like an Avet MXJ filled with 60# braid with 25 feet of 80# Ande mono topshot. We apply the reel to something with length and backbone, such as a Penn Carnage ii 12' XH rod, capable of casting up to 12oz and handling 30-80# braid.

On the end of the line, we have a 10/0 octopus hook with a 3' section of 135# nylon coated 7 strand wire attached. We don't want that once-in-a-lifetime toad perch to chew through, now do we?

We use a 3 way swivel on the opposite end of the wire, then attach a 7oz sputnik sinker to a length of 80# mono similar to that of the wire on the other side of the swivel.

Now it's time to head to your favorite spot! Preferably somewhere in Ventura County, because you can't catch big perch elsewhere. Sorry San Diegans! Stay classy!

Do you have some fresh mackerel handy? Good! Cut the bugger in half. Big baits = big perch!

Cast your line past the breakers. Now, watch and wait patiently. The strike is sudden and the quick reaction is your gateway to success!

There it is, set the hook!

Keep the line tight. Reel, reel!

Use the waves to beach him!

You got 'em!

Congratulations! Remember to release your trophy to support the positive characteristics of this fish in the gene pool!

Unfortunately, you may run into grubby, time wasting rays and sharks whilst on the hunt for those Trophy Perch.

End result for the night:

1 BSP
1 Thornback
2 Sevengills (52", 55")

Based on a true story,
Jeremy

Congrats!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 09:03:32 AM »
Sounds like you got your spot all figured out there Jeremy.  You had a fun night, nice work!
Let the season begin!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:32:57 AM »
That’s a big perch.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)