Author Topic: Better Late Than Never (11/12)  (Read 3249 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Better Late Than Never (11/12)
« on: November 13, 2019, 06:16:00 AM »
Tuesday Nights... you know the deal.  Work.... Bar.....  Beach....

I love it getting dark early and we had a lot more fishing time in today and less time at the bar.

Nice incoming tide.... Little Surge or current.... Little bit of grass but very manageable.

I was first to get a bite, but it felt very shovelnose or ray like.  It popped off half way in, but I had my suspicions.  A few casts later, suspicion confirmed...
Big Shovelnose.  Pretty cool to see some larger units as they have pretty much gone missing down here the last few years.

Squatch then gets the right kind of hit!  Big bendy bait grab and no doubt a nice Sevengill!  He fights it all the way to the breakers and either the waves rolled it or the hook was just caught behind a tooth and never got a good enough bite into its face... but it got free and went bye-bye.  Ugh....

A little while later and Steve was to get some redemption.  His rod gets a different type of hit, but definitely the right kind of shark!  As he's battling it in, we see it's a Soupie.  I had a bitch of a time wrestling it up on the beach as it was green and ornery.  I ran over to wipe my hands dry on the rag while getting the tape measure and pliers when I see my rod doing the dance and I'm on!  Definitely shark, but nowhere near the size of what Squatch caught.  My first "non-keychain" leopard in quite a while!  Got the double picture.

A very decent number of bites and not many in the way of bass or lobster.  Seems like the typical players were all out to play today.  Everything was swimming with everything today!

Then my rod loads up and line starts peeling.  I immediately thought Soupie.  A really good fight and I was expecting to see a medium sized soupie roll up in the surf, but instead it was a big old bat snot!  That's another thing I haven't caught in the surf in a while!  Pretty depressing since I was hoping for a shark, but it was a good warm up.

We checked the clocks and it was later than we thought so we packed it in as the bites also seemed to slow with the dropping tide. 
We saw a bunch of emergency crews ripping bye and wasn't sure what that was all about, but when i got home saw it was the Condos in Solana Beach that were on fire.  My folks stay at the ones right next to that when they visit every now and then.  Terrible fire, but pretty good night of fishing.

I have some updates to the shark list to do.  Verne: Soupie.  Jeremy: (2) 7-gill.  Squatch: Soupie
Maybe there will be more later this week????
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Better Late Than Never (11/12)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 07:12:42 AM »
 Pretty eventful evening, you guys make it look so easy 8) 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:01:38 AM »
Simply outstanding, stoked for both both you guys.  We were hoping to get out last night but it didn't work out as planned.  Once again.........many congrats
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »
 Yeah, the early exit from the bar saves a few bucks allright.

So bummed I lost that first one. Fought like a seven gill. Too far out to grab or see, but close enough I should have had it.
Tried to compensate on the next bite and pulled the bait right out of somethings mouth.

Third time was the charm with that nice soupie. It gave Tom hell, twisting out of his hands multiple times and showering him with water as it tried to swim off.

Fun night. I needed it.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
Yeah, the early exit from the bar saves a few bucks allright.

So bummed I lost that first one. Fought like a seven gill. Too far out to grab or see, but close enough I should have had it.
Tried to compensate on the next bite and pulled the bait right out of somethings mouth.

Third time was the charm with that nice soupie. It gave Tom hell, twisting out of his hands multiple times and showering him with water as it tried to swim off.

Fun night. I needed it.

No tail rope? The shark pot has been stirred!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
I knew you guys were gonna find them last night. Awesome variety, too bad about the lost 7, pretty sure I missed a bigger one last night. Already craving more...

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
Nice soupfin Steve!

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »
THERE IT IS!!!

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:02 PM »
Congrats on the soupie
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lightline21

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »
Tuesday Nights... you know the deal.  Work.... Bar.....  Beach....

I love it getting dark early and we had a lot more fishing time in today and less time at the bar.

Nice incoming tide.... Little Surge or current.... Little bit of grass but very manageable.

I was first to get a bite, but it felt very shovelnose or ray like.  It popped off half way in, but I had my suspicions.  A few casts later, suspicion confirmed...
Big Shovelnose.  Pretty cool to see some larger units as they have pretty much gone missing down here the last few years.

Squatch then gets the right kind of hit!  Big bendy bait grab and no doubt a nice Sevengill!  He fights it all the way to the breakers and either the waves rolled it or the hook was just caught behind a tooth and never got a good enough bite into its face... but it got free and went bye-bye.  Ugh....

A little while later and Steve was to get some redemption.  His rod gets a different type of hit, but definitely the right kind of shark!  As he's battling it in, we see it's a Soupie.  I had a bitch of a time wrestling it up on the beach as it was green and ornery.  I ran over to wipe my hands dry on the rag while getting the tape measure and pliers when I see my rod doing the dance and I'm on!  Definitely shark, but nowhere near the size of what Squatch caught.  My first "non-keychain" leopard in quite a while!  Got the double picture.

A very decent number of bites and not many in the way of bass or lobster.  Seems like the typical players were all out to play today.  Everything was swimming with everything today!

Then my rod loads up and line starts peeling.  I immediately thought Soupie.  A really good fight and I was expecting to see a medium sized soupie roll up in the surf, but instead it was a big old bat snot!  That's another thing I haven't caught in the surf in a while!  Pretty depressing since I was hoping for a shark, but it was a good warm up.

We checked the clocks and it was later than we thought so we packed it in as the bites also seemed to slow with the dropping tide. 
We saw a bunch of emergency crews ripping bye and wasn't sure what that was all about, but when i got home saw it was the Condos in Solana Beach that were on fire.  My folks stay at the ones right next to that when they visit every now and then.  Terrible fire, but pretty good night of fishing.

I have some updates to the shark list to do.  Verne: Soupie.  Jeremy: (2) 7-gill.  Squatch: Soupie
Maybe there will be more later this week????

Nice, Congrats!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
Way to go guys!  8)