Author Topic: Trash Bass and Tackle Terrors (11/17)  (Read 2707 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Trash Bass and Tackle Terrors (11/17)
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:33:04 AM »
Last minute back and forth in my brain if I was going to get out fishing or not.  I gave Squatch the possible nod and he ran with it showing up right on time even if I was running 10 minutes late.

Water is in the low 60's, but seemed to be full of life.

Radio chatter was crazy with all of the tuna they are getting.  I probably could have made the 34-38 mile run for them, but between the wind kicking up and some motor issues, we stayed close and planned on looking for halibut.

No macks once again, so we started throwing the big plastics.  My plastic came to a standstill and I thought I was snagged when I started pulling really hard and felt him slide off the bottom and then start head shaking!  Big halibut!  ...went bye bye after a few tugs.  I reeled in my 3oz lead head with only a dime sized chunk out of my big swimbait.

I had a big bite twice, but couldn't connect with the hook.  Then something changed.  My swimbaits were getting slammed and chewed to sh!t!  I thought for sure it must be triggerfish.

I went through 6 baits, but Steve was using a smaller swimbait and couldn't get a nibble.

Finally Steve switches it up a bam!  Big one on!  Same place where I hooked one on the swimmy last year, but it flopped off while trying to swing it in the boat on bass gear.  They are much heavier than they look.  First local trigger INSIDE the boat!

We now had our eyes targeted for Triggers, but we had a steady pick of everything else including a bunch of boring trash bass.   ;D

Rockfish including Brownies, Vermillion, Whitefish, Blacksmith...

A couple of sheep...

Big Scully!  It puked up a bunch of big old shrimp!

Kept motoring from place to place and picking up fish on every stop.  The Trash Bass were at least getting bigger.

Finally on a last move, we make a run to a good deep-water bass spot of ours.  Squatch gets crushed and is pinned on with another big saucer!

4lb 10oz

I then hook up with my first trigger of the day, but it schools me and snips through 40# leader like butter once it turned and got the angle on me!  UGH, what craziness!  We always thought we would get them, but after decades of thinking I's get an incidental catch, now we're targeting them!

All in all it was about a 30 fish day and we let everything go except one trigger.  I didn't feel like cleaning fish unless it was a worthy one like a halibut, but a trigger will do!  It requires a special way to filet them as you filet them from the inside out.  Pretty neat trick I was taught back in the days when I worked on the sport boats.  Beautiful fillets!

Well we got in at a reasonable hour to catch 6 cops and 4 life guards at the ramp.  I'll let Squatch tell the story, but apparently the urban outdoorsman are buying old beat up boats for cheap and want to live on the bay....  momma mia...

I'm also tanning that armor of theirs!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:40:06 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Trash Bass and Tackle Terrors (11/17)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »
 Those triggers were fun. Got a good laugh at being disappointed every time a bass came on board instead.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
What is filleting from the inside out?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
What is filleting from the inside out?

You can't cut down through the skin very easily if not at all.  It will fold your blade edge right over.  Run knife upwards from the inside of the trigger and not down through the skin.
Old school technique most people out here have no clue since they are not common.

My old captain when I first started working on the party boats told me to keep my fingers away from the mouths even when dead.  They sometimes latch down by nerves when you stick the knife in them and they'll take your finger off.  He knew of many people who were not so careful.

This pic is from someone else, but don't mess with the mouth when you are filleting.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »
Yikes! Good tip on the triggers.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
Another nice trip. As if dead fish with nerves still kicking wasn’t scary enough..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Triggers are awesome! I've only caught them in Cabo. Heck of a fight!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
Nice outing guys!!

That trigger fish carnage scares me more than a sevengill  :o

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
Very cool indeed, still waiting for the story at the dock   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
Very cool indeed, still waiting for the story at the dock   ;)

Long story short, a homeless person bought a old big boat that doesn't run for a buck and planned on living at the docks at the launch ramp.  She was irate as the lifeguards towed her boat away.  There were 6 cops and 4 lifeguard there for one lady.  Fairly uneventful, but Steve got the meat of the story from one of the police.