Author Topic: Deep Fried Turkey Recipes????  (Read 5304 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Deep Fried Turkey Recipes????
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
I'm roasting a turkey and deep frying one for the first time.  I'm trying to find a recipe i like, so basically have 2 questions..

1)  What's your favorite recipe for fried turkey?

2)  Is there any tricks that I need to know besides making sure it's totally defrosted and patted down dry before slowly dropping it in?

Thanks in advance.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Fried Turkey Recipes????
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »
Be 100% sure the oil level is not too high. The burners now have a 15 minute limit so you have to restart over and over.

I smoked mine on Sunday as Thursday it is supposed to rain big time.

Fire extinguisher, ABC, at the ready.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »
I would take it to Tim’s house.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Be 100% sure the oil level is not too high. The burners now have a 15 minute limit so you have to restart over and over.

I smoked mine on Sunday as Thursday it is supposed to rain big time.

Fire extinguisher, ABC, at the ready.

I did a wet run sort of.  While the turkey was still wrapped, put 4 gallons of water in the big pot.  Tried 3 at first, then 4.  4 covered the turkey just right and it didn't come close to overflowing.
Good point Jim.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
Good god....  I bought a small cover in case it was going to rain so I could fry my turkey.  Then I saw heavy rain and strong winds, so tarped up the outside to block the wind from blowing out the flame.  More money and time spent prepping for this damn turkey and all of a sudden today gusty winds to 30-40 mph almost blew away everything in my yard.  My deep frying turkey shelter stayed, but barely because I ziptied 30 feet of anchor chain around it and layered bricks to keep it from moving..

I had to come to a decision...  Just roast both turkeys instead and save the oil and frustration for another day or just wait to see if the wind dies out after the front starts to move through...  I hit the point where if I don't get the turkeys in the oven, they wouldn't be done in time and it was still windy as hell, raining and thunder.

I made the call to roast them both and started the injections and setting up for a roaster.

Of course, an hour after I get them in the oven, the wind dies right down to nothing and would be a perfect time to fry them.....  Ugh, my head hurts. 

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait to fry a turkey for another day.  Bummed about it, but on the bright side, I won't have to trudge out in the rain and mud to get to the turkey.  I don't have a walkway to it after building the retaining wall, so it's a muddy mess out there.

First World problems of course, but nothing a few glasses of some good red wine can't fix.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 12:34:11 PM »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:12:40 PM »
Argh.

Going to have to open a beer after reading of your struggles.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 10:40:09 AM »

Funny you say this. We used to put turkeys in the pit along with the pig and one year my neighbor wrapped one up for himself and put it along side the the pig. The next day we uncovered the pig and began the usual festivities but we forgot to remove the turkey ::) Fast forward to the next year when we were prepping the pit for the next pig roast, we found his turkey still wrapped in burlap :o Well the pit usually stays hot for two weeks after the party so this bird was well done to say the least. We took it out and it was light as a feather and looked like petrified balsa wood, Christmas Vacation comes to mind ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »

Funny you say this. We used to put turkeys in the pit along with the pig and one year my neighbor wrapped one up for himself and put it along side the the pig. The next day we uncovered the pig and began the usual festivities but we forgot to remove the turkey ::) Fast forward to the next year when we were prepping the pit for the next pig roast, we found his turkey still wrapped in burlap :o Well the pit usually stays hot for two weeks after the party so this bird was well done to say the least. We took it out and it was light as a feather and looked like petrified balsa wood, Christmas Vacation comes to mind ;D

That's funny. Should have unwrapped it and had Tom put eyes in it like the piranha head.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »

That's funny. Should have unwrapped it and had Tom put eyes in it like the piranha head.
hahahahaha